TweakTown NewsRefine News by Category:
Nintendo was quick to embrace eSports before it evolved into the massive business it is now, with championships and tournaments in the early 90s.
Although the company's focus shifted towards console and portable gaming units, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime wants to show more support for eSports in the future. In the first four days the Nintendo World Championships was available online, it was viewed more than 5 million times - and Fils-Aime expects even more views.
"We saw success last year with the Smash Bros. Invitational, and Smash Bros. has always been a game in the eSports community," said Fils-Aime, in a statement published by Fortune. "What we're really gratified to see is that the community has now embraced Super Smash Bros. for Wii U because it has the speed and customization they like. We're also seeing them embrace Mario Kart 8, as well as Splatoon, in a competitive environment. We've always been close to the eSports space and will continue to be."
With gaming on the rise, ESL has just announced its latest ESL One Frankfurt event cracked the 1,000,000 concurrent viewer milestone, spread across Twitch TV and MarsTV in China.
Featuring many of the worlds best Dota2 teams fighting for sponsorship cash thrown in by GIGABYTE, G2A, NVIDIA, Corsair Gaming, NEEDforSEAT and more another large feature was the $5,000 cosplay competition which saw Timbersaw from the Czech Republic take home the gold.
Ulrich Schulze, Managing Director Pro Gaming at ESL, is certainly happy with the results, stating "It was very important to us that we make ESL One Frankfurt 2015 more than just an esports competition. We're looking to continually build on this with future ESL One events."
What you're reading here is the plan to ensure gamers must purchase specialty Red Bull cans in order to unlock 30 minute windows of XP gain and a new Destiny mission, which we shared news on recently. Want more bonus XP? You're going to need to buy another can.
An interesting part of this leaked document is slide number 5, which is about the "360* Marketing Campaign" and outlines the fact that there has been "300+ Opinion leader Kits seeded." In non-marketing terms, this means that people who are likely of strong opinions or influence (often people ranked high on the social or online ladder) have been sent some special information and possibly compensation in order to ensure they are always positive about this campaign.
There was a time when Doom 4 was a thing, but Bethesda decided to cancel the project after the team wasn't happy with what they were making. Bethesda boss Pete Hines talked about Doom 4 during E3, where he said during a video interview with Polygon: "We weren't happy with the game that was being made".
He continued: "We decided that it wasn't Doom enough and needed to be thrown out and started over. Some folks left and some faces changed at the studio. Out of that change - which was not easy for those guys to go through - some amazing things happened. You can probably close your eyes and imagine a 'Call of Doom' or a 'BattleDoom' game, where it starts to feel way too much like: 'Wait, this doesn't feel like Doom, it feels like we're playing some other franchise with a Doom skin on it".
Hines had more to say, adding: "It wasn't fast enough. The way that the demons worked. The visceralness of the combat. A lot of the stuff that you see with the finishing moves wasn't part of it at all. The combat was more disconnected, you almost found yourself taking cover at times and using things from other FPSes, which might be fine for them, but for Doom it just doesn't feel right".
Slightly Mad Studios might have just announced Project CARS 2 nice and early, but the original game is being patched up as we speak. Patch 2.0 for Project CARS is massively extensive, offering up to 5% more performance on the PC when under Ultra settings. But that's not all, check out the full Patch 2.0 release notes below:
- PC - up to 5% frame rate improvement when using Ultra settings
- XB1 - up to 17% frame rate improvement in extreme conditions
- Online & Community Events
- Multiplayer search filter 'Skill' now finds games based upon certain lobby game configuration criteria. For example, "Pro" setting now searches for Full Damage, Auto-start Engine, Forced Cockpit, Mechanical Failure, and so forth.
- Community events page - when an event cannot be entered, it will now display the reason why: 'Coming Soon' along with a countdown, or 'Expired'.
- Online - Ensure that vehicle light repairs are synchronized in MP races so that repaired headlights are visible by other racers.
- Xbox One - fix attempt for a hard-to-reproduce issue where the game would at times freeze or crash when 8 or more players joined a session all at once.
- Xbox One - fixed an issue that at times would prevent a player from establishing full connectivity when leaving a lobby and trying to reconnect to it.
- PS4 - fixed an issue where, after the PS4 resumes from Rest Mode, no network features can be used.
- Controls - All platforms
- Adjustments made to the gears system, to prevent gears being skipped under certain conditions. This addresses an issue where gears would at times jump straight down to 1st, potentially causing engine blowouts.
- Steering wheels - reduced the centering rate of the steering spring. This improves the feel of steering wheels at very low speeds.
- Added support for the use of all active controllers for menu input. You can for example now use a steering wheel to race, and a gamepad to control the menus and photo mode.
- Gear shifters - when using an H-shifter on a car that has a sequential gearbox, the gearbox will now switch through the gears until the gear selected on the H-shifter is reached.
- Fixed an issue in Force Feedback calibration that would prevent a player from setting "Soft Clipping (Half Input)" back to 0 after modifying it from the original value.
- Controls - PS4
- Thrustmaster T100 Force Feedback improvements.
- Fixed the Force Feedback dynamics for wheels with physical steering locks which were less than the steering lock of the vehicle in-game. This fixes the Force Feedback on the Thrustmaster T100 and similar wheels.
- Added a Motion Sensor controller profile.
- Fixed a crash issue when disconnecting and reconnecting Fanatec wheels.
- Enable support for USB keyboards to be used for in-game controls.
- Controls - Xbox One
- Built in protection to prevent unsupported controller devices from crashing the game.
- Gear shifters - fixed an issue that prevented the selection of neutral when using an H-gate shifter add-on with a car that has an H-gate shifter in-game.
- Implemented accelerator vibration on the gamepad right trigger to indicate when and how much the tyres slip under acceleration.
- Madcatz wheel - fixed an issue where the switch on the wheel to change between 270 to 900 degree mode stopped functioning.
It was only a few days ago that we reported that the PC port of Batman: Arkham Knight was a pile of... well, you can use any word you want there. So much so, that Warner Bros. has just announced that they're suspending any and all sales of the PC version until the technical issues can be ironed out.
The company took to their company blog, saying:
Dear Batman: Arkham Knight PC owners,
We want to apologise to those of you who are experiencing performance issues with Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. We take these issues very seriously and have therefore decided to suspend future game sales of the PC version while we work to address these issues to satisfy our quality standards. We greatly value our customers and know that while there are a significant amount of players who are enjoying the game on PC, we want to do whatever we can to make the experience better for PC players overall.
Thank you to those players who have already given valuable feedback. We are continuously monitoring all threads posted in the Official Batman: Arkham Knight Community and Steam forums, as well as any issues logged with our Customer Support (support.wbgames.com). If you purchased your copy of the game and are not satisfied with your experience, then we ask for your patience while these issues are resolved. If desired, you can request a refund at help.steampowered.com (Steam refund policies can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds) or the retail location where you purchased the game.
The Batman: Arkham fans have continually supported the franchise to its current height of success, and we want to thank you for your patience as we work to deliver an updated version of Batman: Arkham Knight on PC so you can all enjoy the final chapter of the Batman: Arkham series as it was meant to be played.
It seems the 'Greentext' memes are becoming real as an "epic, new quest" explained as a "never-before-seen, multistage mission in The Taken King that will test the speed and strategic abilities of Destiny players in new ways" will require a Redbull can purchase and specialty code in order for gamers to participate. People certainly aren't happy about this new 'experience', as seen on Games Radar.
Once entered, the code will unlock this quest for all alongside bonus experience points soaring at a rate of 50% for only 30 minutes. How do you unlock more experience bonus? Buy more Red Bull cans! The experience bonus will be made available on the 1st of July, with the quest launching on September the 15th.
Released alongside The Taken King expansion which will cost us all $40, the quest will be exclusive to Red Bull drinkers only until January 1st, 2016. It also seems this is a US-only promotion at this stage.
Bethesda Softworks publicly unveiled Doom during E3, the studio's latest attempt at renewing the famed gaming franchise - and things are going so much better than when Bethesda tried to put together the failed Doom 4 project a few years ago.
"We weren't happy with the game that was being made," said Pete Hines, VP of PR and marketing at Bethesda, in a statement to Polygon. "We decided that it wasn't Doom enough and needed to be thrown out and started over. Some folks left and some faces changed at the studio. Out of that change - which was not easy for those guys to go through - some amazing things happened."
It seemed like nothing went right with the original Doom 4 project that was underway years ago, with demon and enemy AI all the way to "the visceralness of the combat," which was "more disconnected." Instead, gamers would have had to work through the game in the same fashion as Call of Duty and other war-style games - take cover and be extremely strategic in gameplay.
If you want to get your hands on a Fallout 4 Pip-Boy special edition, it looks like you'll have a chance throughout this week.
"Looks like having high stats in Charisma and Luck have paid off," according to the Bethesda blog post. "With so many of you looking to procure the recently announced Pip-Boy Edition for Fallout 4, we've managed to squeeze some more Pip-Boys out of the factories."
US gamers can find the special edition at GameStop, Best Buy and Amazon.com, while Canadian gamers can find it at Best Buy, Amazon.ca, and EB Games. Bethesda will offer an update for European gamers sometime in the near future.
Nintendo has had great success with its Amiibo character figurines, but is still fully dedicated to creating new video games and consoles for customers. The Japanese game company is on track to release more game titles through the second half of 2015 than it did throughout all of 2014.
Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime understands the challenges related to Amiibo, and says the company will continue to launch additional figures in the future.
"There's no issue with our first- and second-party development," Fils-Aime told Polygon. "In fact, I don't know if you've been to Kyoto recently, but we've got a whole new R&D building that is full of developers; whether they are software developers or hardware developers. So, we're increasing our capacity to create more content. We're focused on creating great content."