TweakTown NewsRefine News by Category:
Electronic Arts was happy with the reception that Star Wars Battlefront received during E3, and is continuing to push forward with the latest Star Wars game.
EA COO Peter Moore noted that the company would delay the game if it wasn't right, and another company official noted the "10,000 ways to f***" up game development - and how it's promoted to the public.
"No, but I think we've reached a point where we're worrying less about what we are doing and what we have done. Before you a show a game to the world, there's ongoing speculation about it," said Patrick Bach, GM at DICE, in a statement to GameSpot. "There are 10,000 ways to f*** this up, and people are super detailed on how we will screw up. And I read these posts and I think, hey, I think fans are going to be super happy with what we're doing."
Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick wants to release quality game titles to its customers, and that doesn't mean risking game quality - and possible burnout - just to launch a title.
Take-Two has been criticized in the past for heavy reliance on Grand Theft Auto, but Zelnick noted that while the company has evolved, there has been added diversification of its product lineup. In addition, Zelnick is aware of a common concern among game studios and publishers: burning out a franchise with sometimes unnecessary yearly releases:
"I think the biggest distinction between us and some of our competitors is we don't annualize our non-sports titles, and that's for a couple of reasons," Zelnick recently told Games Industry. "One is we want to have the highest quality in the business and that takes time, and two, we like to rest our IP in between releases because we believe that's what keeps it fresh and permanent. We don't want to burn off our franchises. It's an unusual strategy - I think we stand alone with that strategy, but it's really paying off."
Bethesda Softworks is almost done with Fallout 4 development, and everything is looking good for a fall launch.
"We're pretty close to being done, which you have to be if you're going to ship in five months," said Pete Hines, VP of PR and Marketing at Bethesda, in a statement to GamesRadar.
Hines also noted the overall anticipation for the game, which is why there has been such a short window of game promotion: "If we didn't feel that was enough time to generate the excitement that we expected and the interest that we wanted, then we would have announced it earlier. So part of it is because we felt like it was a big enough title that we could get away with it."
Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition quickly sold out, and then Bethesda made a limited supply available, but there will be no more after the current supply runs out. The special edition features a copy of Fallout 4 in a custom Capsule Case, and an actual Pip-Boy wearable.
Pete Hines, PR and marketing executive at Bethesda, had a bad news confirmation for those still trying to get their hands on a Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition:
@hyliannelf this last allocation was the final one to all stores in all territories.- Pete Hines (@DCDeacon) June 25, 2015
After an extremely busy E3 gaming show earlier this month, there are a lot of things gamers across all platforms can be happy for. It turns out, PC game sales are expected to top video game consoles by the end of 2016 - with console games reaching an estimated $28 billion, while PC games will hit $29 billion, according to the PwC industry researcher.
If true, this is a major shift in the gaming market, which was dominated by PCs, transitioned to consoles, and looks to be switching once again. Most popular game titles released today feature a PC version and are available on new-generation consoles - but with resolution and fps restrictions, the PC Master Race fans can enjoy wider customization of their gaming experience.
It's not just a battle between PC and console games anymore, with a growing number of mobile and Web-based games.
An official announcement by Riot Games' League of Legends eSports management has just confirmed that Chris Badawi, "current part-owner of LCS team Team Dragon Knights (TDK) and CS team Renegades (RNG)" has been banned for one year from the LoL Championship Series (LCS) due to soliciting of players, even after warnings were issued.
Explained by 'RiotNickAllen', Badawi "solicited a player under contract with Team Liquid to join his team. After doing so he was notified by Team Liquid's owner and LCS officials that soliciting LCS players under contract was a violation of league tampering rules and could disqualify him for consideration as an owner, coach, or player." Allen went on to explain that despite the official warning, Badawi solicited yet another player, ensuring this ban would take place.
In order for his gaming team to compete in LCS over the next year, Badawi must forgive all team assets and ownership - marking himself as in no way related to his former gaming team.
Wargaming has found itself in hot water with gamers, where it partnered with Humble Bundle last month on a deal for its popular World of Warships game, which is still in beta.
At the time, the MMO developer was offering anyone who purchased the bundle access to the upcoming closed beta, a premium ship dubbed 'Murmansk' and 1,000 premium credits. Anyone who purchased the bundle would see their items carried over from the beta to the full game, but after Wargaming applied the latest patch to World of Warships, gamers have noticed that the ship, and premium credits, are gone.
Even when re-entering the code they were provided when they purchased the bundle, gamers were hit with the same brick wall: no premium ship or premium credits. Wargaming then posted a statement that the Humble Bundle deal that included the premium ship and 1,000 credits was only for the closed beta period, leaving gamers feeling like they had been bait and switched by Wargaming.
A lot of Batman: Arkham Knight PC gamers haven't had a pleasurable gaming experience during launch week, as there are a number of performance problems, bugs, and game glitches. Warner Bros. rightfully decided to temporarily suspend future sales of the PC version as the studio works to resolve issues.
Why was it the right call? Put simply, the studio had a bit of advice to PC gamers suffering issues: turn down the settings.
"We continue to work closely with AMD to resolve these issues as soon as possible; make sure you have the most current drivers and check back here for updates on when the next driver version is available," Warner Bros. said in a statement.
In the aftermath of Warner Bros pulling the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight because of it being a complete mess of a PC port, Electronic Arts' COO, Peter Moore, has come out talking about Star Wars: Battlefront.
Moore said that Electronic Arts wouldn't have a problem delaying a game if it wasn't ready, just like it did with Battlefield: Hardline. Moore said: "You can't ship it if it doesn't work or the quality isn't right. You just bite the bullet. Trust me, shipping Hardline in March was not the easiest thing to do from a business perspective, but it was the right thing to do from a player perspective".
Does that mean EA could postpone Star Wars: Battlefront? No. Moore said that the game is already "rock solid" even in huge 40-player matches, so a delay "ain't going to happen" according to Moore.
It looks like next month is going to be quite the Comic-Con, with our first glimpse at the PC version of Star Wars: Battlefront. Up until now, all of the gameplay we've seen is from the console versions of the game.
EA took to its official Twitter account for Star Wars, where they said: "Join us at the @thenerdmachine during #SDCC and try #StarWarsBattlefront on PC!". We also found out that DICE had unprecedented access to original Star Wars props and locations, allowing the studio to create the impressive visuals we've seen in Battlefront.
Mathew Everett, Community Manager for DICE, recently talked about the collaboration between DICE and Lucasfilm, where he said: "The Sullust they use within the comic is based on the Sullust we're introducing into the Star Wars universe in Star Wars Battlefront. This has been a part of the collaboration we have had with Lucas over the last few years".
He continued: "Mission maps are unique to Missions. The map count we revealed includes only Multiplayer maps from the base game (12 maps). We also have the two extra free maps that will come with the Battle of Jakku. The Battle of Jakku maps will arrive starting on December 1st or December 8th depending if you pre-ordered, which gives us 14 maps total before The Force Awakens arrives in theaters. We will reveal the full Mission map count in the near future".