TweakTown NewsRefine News by Category:
During a talk on the PlayStation Blogcast, Sony Worldwide Studios Development Head, Scott Rohde, said that gaming at 1080p 60FPS is a requirement for next-gen gaming. He said this because they were talking about the upcoming Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, which has remastered all of the previous Uncharted games at 1080p 60FPS.
Rohde said: "We talked about 1080p/60-that makes a huge difference in any game. I think you're going to really appreciate that". He also teased that there's "so much more" that the studio is going to reveal on The Nathan Drake Collection in the near future, where he teased: "There are buckets more to come. I'm not calling this a tease; it's a super-tease".
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection will arrive on October 8 for the PlayStation 4, with a playable demo to arrive in the coming weeks.
343 Industries took some heat after it was announced Halo 5: Guardians won't support split-screen - and now the game developer is discussing its decision.
"The decision to remove split-screen support from Halo 5: Guardians was one of the most difficult ones we've ever had to make as a studio," said Josh Holmes, executive producer, in a blog post. "We know that for many of our fans, Halo has meant playing together with friends in the same room. We all have great memories of past Halo split-screen multiplayer matches."
Indeed, it looks like 343 Industries wanted to "deliver a true next-gen experience" and "tough choices had to be made." To help deliver the best gaming environment, there needed to be room for scale - and Halo 5 could have been comprised if a split-screen setting was included in the game.
Bethesda may have waited until June to announce Fallout 4, but the studio had a great interest in having the game take place in Boston for years now. In fact, the location was decided before Skyrim was released in 2011, and developers started thinking about Bean Town in 2008.
"Long ago... Pre-Skyrim. The ideas for Fallout 4 started right after Fallout 3 and have gotten worked on and been percolated since 2008," said Pete Hines, VP of Marketing at Bethesda, in a statement to GameSpot. "We're talking about its infancy, we're talking about jotting some stuff down, we're talking about, 'I want to do it in Massachusetts, and have it be about this, this, and this."
Fallout 4 game development started after Skyrim had been supported "for several years," and the studio was comfortable moving on to the next project.
Bungie has a long-term plan for Destiny, and gamers will be able to support their current Guardian for quite some time. It turns out, with Bungie's current 10-year support plan, gamers may not need to make a new character - or switch - anytime soon.
"We certainly take it seriously that Destiny is a ten-year thing," said Luke Timmins, engineering lead for the Destiny video game, in a statement to GamesRadar. "It's a long-term thing and with these adventures that we're adding my contract to you - and any player - is that your Guardian will always be there. We're going to keep adding new stuff for you to do and I'd hope you'll look at The Taken King and be like, 'I'm looking forward to logging on again and hooking friends online.'"
Destiny: The Taken King is scheduled for launch on September 15, and it looks like Bungie plans to support your characters for a while. The expansion will be available for $40. In addition, it looks like Bungie is already working on a new "upcoming title," so Destiny fans will be quite busy.
With Virtus.pro overcoming Na'Vi in a 3-1 victory on de_overpass, de_cache, de_cobblestone and de_mirage, it's interesting to note that none of these four maps played in the live grand final were present on release day of CS:GO.
Winning the first, second and fourth maps 16-8, 16-11 and 19-15 respectively, Virtus.pro's fall came in the form of a 7-16 loss on de_cache. This series saw Virtus.pro fan-favorite Pasha bring his team home with an impressive 40.2% headshot percentage and a kill to death score of 87-73 at a rating of 1.17 (HLTV), Na'Vi's top-fragging (+7) Flamie was unfortunately unable to match the might and passion of the biceps.
Na'Vi didn't walk away empty-handed however, gathering $15,000 and an invite to the next season finals, followed by mousesports and Cloud9 in 3-4th placement, receiving $10,000 each.
Ouya CEO Julie Urhman today confirmed that PC hardware maker Razer has bought out the company. Urhman inadvertently broke the news by tweeting a cavalcade of thank you messages signalling something big had happened.
The ex-CEO further tweeted the following message to Razer, confirming the buyout speculations: "Can't wait to see what you do. Take care of my incredible team and community...I know you will."
.@Razer Can't wait to see what you do. Take care of my incredible team and community...I know you will.- Julie Uhrman (@juhrman) July 27, 2015
Razer has since issued a lengthy announcement post. "Today we're pleased to welcome OUYA to the Razer family," reads the announcement. "With them in the Razer fold, we plan to further embrace hardcore gaming in the living room and take Android gaming to the next level."
2014 has proven to be quite the lucrative year for Valve as reports indicate that the company's digital PC gaming storefront Steam raked in an estimated total of $1.5bn in total sales last year.
Valve's in-house mega blockbusters DOTA 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2 were responsible for a considerable bulk of the figures, pulling in more than $450m profit across all three games.
Industry research company SuperData affirms that Valve also amassed $330m in royalties from third-party titles sold on Steam. As per company policy, Valve takes a 30% cut of each sale. Considering Steam has a library consisting of over 781 million games, and that the service hit a peak of 9.2 million users, it's no wonder Valve can pull in that kind of revenue.
id Software understands the importance of eSports in 2015, but said Doom isn't being designed specifically to become the next big eSports platform.
Just creating the multiplayer mode is a priority, and id Software will go back and analyze eSports potential after Doom has been released. Of course, id is familiar with multiplayer success, especially with Quake 3 and Quake 4, which were popular among professional gamers and players at LAN parties.
"We're not developing [Doom] specifically with how we address eSports. There's tons of moments, even just watching the [multiplayer matches] at Quakecon, where there's very eSports moments in it," said Marty Stratton, developer at id Software, in a statement to GameSpot. "It really just illustrates how eSports can be born out of that. But we're really [working on] how we entertain millions of people on their couches everyday. So that's really been our focus."
It looks like Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro still want to work on a gaming project, even though Silent Hills was scrapped. Details regarding the project haven't been disclosed, but could give gamers something to look forward to one day.
"I love working with Kojima-san. We are still in touch," del Toro recently told IGN. "We are still friends and working into doing something together, but that's not going to be [Silent Hills]."
It's a shame that Silent Hills was scrapped, as both del Toro and Kojima were excited about the progress being made:
The Raspberry Pi has proven to be the fruit of choice for clever tecchies and inventors everywhere, leading to a fascinating array of technical creations that amuse, mystify and outright dazzle.
The Pi Boy Portable is a prime example. Build using the Raspberry Pi, customized 3D-printed shell parts and a small screen, Thingiverse user Jooxoe3i has created a tiny portable Super Nintendo console built for retro gaming on the go.
The Pi Boy Portable build is inspired by a combination of custom eye-boggling inventions including adafruit's DIY Raspberry Pi Gameboy and Carasibana's Super Game PiSP, a PSP-shaped SNES retro handheld.