TweakTown NewsRefine News by Category:
I seriously hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears that there will not be a movie made around the vastly popular game Super Meat Boy... at least not from one
director scammer. Last week, Team Meat, the guys behind Super Meat Boy, published an hour long conference call in which a "director" was wanting to discuss working up a script for Super Meat Boy the movie. The guys caught on pretty quick that the guy was a scammer and they played along over the course the next hour and hilarity ensued.
During the conversation, Team Meat noticed that the so-called director had not even played the game as he had no clue on any aspect of Super Meat Boy. He asked them to hire him for 2 months so he could generate a "Blueprint" for the storyline at the cost of just $4,000. He then said that if everything went well, they would have to front $12k in "buddy money" for script production and if everyone was in agreement, then he would refund the $16k total that Team Meat had invested. The catch was, however, that if the director was not happy at any point, he could just take the $12k and call the whole project quits.
The video, embedded above and hosted on YouTube, is definitely worth a listen, if not for the lulz, then for the insight into how some of the true con artists in America attempt to scam possible victims. At one point, the scammer asks for sales figures and the guys reply that they are waiting on Microsoft to pay them $7 million in owed sales, and that Super Meat Boy's sales on a "small-time platform known as Steam" were eclipsed by sales on Direct to Drive. Team Meat held it together for the entire trolling session, and I must bow down to their expertise as trolling masters.
It was just over a month ago that Phil Fish announced Fez 2 at E3, but this morning it appears that the sequel to the popular indie game Fez will never be. This morning, Fish announced that Fez 2 has been canceled and he is leaving the industry for good. In a statement, Phil Fish wrote: "Fez II is cancelled, I take the money and I run. This is as much as I can stomach. This isn't the result of one thing, but the end of a long bloody campaign. You win."
Fish was quite the outspoken indie developer and stirred the pot quite a bit on occasion. He was featured in the popular documentary Indie Game: The Movie in which the cameras followed his triumphs and struggles with delays, massive bugs, and legal battles over Fez. Fish took massive criticism over Fez throughout the development process and the remarks continued even after the game was released and had become a huge hit. Apparently these comments, the pressure of topping Fez 1, and the stress that comes with being the sole developer on a massive game were just too much for Fish to take.
Valve took some time on Friday to squash a rumor from gaming blog NSS that Half-Life 3 was going to be shown at E3 2014. The report said that they had an e-mail from Valve developer John Guthrie, who said that the first-ever Half-Life 3 trailer, as well as a playable demo would be available at next year's E3.
He supposedly wrote: "I can't confirm all too much since the development is still in early stages, but for now I can confirm that we are going to release on both current and next generation consoles, and we will also release the game on our own platform exclusively for PC and Mac. We hope to have the first trailer ready for E3 2014, which we (after several times not attending) will finally come back to."
The creator of Half-Life has come out and said the report is "bogus", with the only reason they decided to step out of the shadows is because of how quickly the story had spread. I think we'll see it toward E3 2014, but I think we're going to see it released closer to the time that Oculus Rift hits the market.
Before next-gen consoles are here, and they usher in a kind-of-1080p gaming experience for us, 4K (or Ultra HD) was announced. We've seen a few sites play around with 4K gaming, but how do three 4K displays handle a game? What kind of insane rig do you need for this?
Well, Microsoft have done it, where they've slapped three Ultra HD-capable Sharp PN-K321 displays with the help of AMD and ASUS with three ASUS DirectCU II 7970s to show off some insane Ultra HD gaming. Dirt 3 was chosen as the game for its wide panoramic effect, with a single ASUS DirectCU II 7970 capable of pushing out 35 FPS, oh, at 11520x2160.
Yes, 11520x2160... I'll let that sink in for a minute.
Gearbox Software did kind of screw us on Aliens: Colonial Marines, and now one of the major voice actors from the game has stepped forward mirroring our opinion on the game.
Michael Biehn played Corporal Hicks in the James Cameron-directed "Aliens", and came back to voice his character for Gearbox Software's Aliens: Colonial Marines and when speaking to Game Informer, he said that the game was "kind of passionless". He compared his role with Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, where he plays Sergeant Rex Colt.
He described working with Blood Dragon's Creator Director, Dead Evans, as a positive experience, thanks to Evans' "interesting and creative presence" and passion. But during his time with Aliens: Colonial Marines, Biehn said he "didn't really have any fun". He added "It seemed kind of passionless. I think in movies, television and the gaming world, you get some people that are really, really passionate, and some people that are just going through the paces. They think that because they have a brand name they're going to get a hit game or hit movie out of it. That certainly was the situation on [Aliens: Colonial Marines]."
There are countless Battlefield 3 gamers that have clocked up thousands of hours (I'm looking at you, boss) and don't want to lose those stats when they transition over to Battlefield 4.
Well, directly from the official Battlefield Twitter account, which tweeted "We've heard reports that players would like their stats and progression to transfer from current to next-gen in #BF4. We're investigating." This is perfect, as it'll give gamers the opportunity to buy two copies of the game, with EA/DICE supporting this.
I'm waiting for Battlefield 4, but I really didn't expect them to go this far with its second screen functionality. In the video below dubbed "Battlefield 4: Official Battlelog Features Video" we get a much better look at the second screen abilities of Battlefield 4.
Players will be able to use their mobile devices, such as an iOS- or Android-based smartphone or tablet, as a huge accessory to BF4. Not only that, you could use your tablet as a second display, which would show your map with gamers being able to use them for in-game tactical moves, such as tapping your tablet screen to set a meeting/bomb drop point.
Commander Mode would make the best use of the second screen, but I can't wait to just have a large-sized map to the side of my monitor.
Just when we thought Call of Duty: Ghosts wouldn't be coming to the Nintendo Wii U, we wake up to yet another day, and yet another surprise. Activision have come out to announce the news, where they say:
Call of Duty: Ghosts - Featuring an all-new world, story, characters and experiences, all powered by a new engine, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a stunning leap forward for the blockbuster franchise. For the first time in Call of Duty, gamers play as the underdog, fighting as part of a single squad against an enemy that has superior numbers and firepower. Call of Duty: Ghosts' genre-defining multiplayer delivers gameplay innovations throughout, including dynamic map events, character customisation and other features yet-to-be-announced. The title includes Wii Remote and second-screen Wii U™ GamePad support and more. Call of Duty: Ghosts is scheduled for release on November 5, on Wii U and is not yet rated by the ESRB.
In a day that seems to be all about Google, the company has released yet another new and exciting product. Google has just launched a new Android app named Google Play Games, which will serve as a central location for social gaming as well as game and content discovery. We first heard mention of this new app at Google I/O but details were a bit scarce and we almost forgot all about it.
The new app aggregates all of your installed games into a single location where you can see earned achievements, multiplayer engagements, and a list of frequent opponents and public leaderboards. The app is very similar to Apple's Game Center, which has been around for almost 3 years now. Unlike the Game Center which uses your Apple ID for identification, Play Games requires a connection through Google to update your account with new achievements and data.
EA and DICE pass 4 million Battlefield 3 Premium subscribers, Origin now features over 50 million users
EA have come out with a little bit of bragging today, where they are celebrating two things. First, their Battlefield 3 Premium service nwo features over four million subscribers.
Secondly, Origin boats over 50 million users, which is a huge milestone in such a short amount of time. Rewinding the clock back to January, Battlefield 3 Premium only had 2.9 million subscribers, so they've gained over 1 million subscribers in just 6 months time. Back in October of 2012, Origin had just 30 million users, which is a huge increase of 20 million users in a little under a year.
Considering Origin launched in June 2011, it has only taken two years to amass 50 million users.