Another round of the Intel Developer Forum has kicked off today in San Francisco, and as such there is plenty of coverage floating around of opening keynote presentations, Intel's Quad-Core offerings (set for launch in November) and stacks stacks more.
PC Perspective have posted up an article which covers Intel's and Futuremark's combined work into a new quad-core ready gaming engine. The app is dubbed "Ice Storm Fighters" and will be a playable game when released, but for now is showcased at IDF in a demo mode.
You can see in this screen shot above that the software is tracking CPU utilization of the four cores of a Kentsfield processor. You can also see the frame rate of the game being reported in the center there. The CPU utilization is fairly high on all four cores, indicating a work load that is being distributed fairly evenly.
The lads over at LegitReviews are also on top of all the action surrounding IDF at the moment, they've sighted systems galore which are powered by Quad-Core Intel QX6700 Core 2 Extreme processors and also provide their take on the new quad-threaded Ice Storm Fighters demo.
Intel is expected to launch the Extreme Edition of their upcoming quad-core Kentsfield processor known as the Core 2 Extreme QX6700 later this year. Walking around the Intel Developer Forum today it seems that quad-core processors are already released as dozens of them are sitting at idle tonight waiting for groves of people to come on the opening day of the show and give them a personal test drive. We couldn't help but stop and look at these systems the night before the show and the Advanced Technology Zone (seen below) was full of Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 systems from power house companies like Dell, Voodoo, Hypersonic and many more.
For all the rest of the coverage floating around thus far, check out the links provided below :-
- Intel Developer Forum Fall 2006. Day 1 @ XBit Labs
- Intel Developer Forum - San Francisco - September 2006 @ Hexus
- Fall IDF 2006 - Day 1: 45/65nm, UMPC Update and Quad-Core @ Anandtech
- Intel Shows Off Teraflop-on-a-Chip @ DailyTech
- Intel Talks 45nm Production @ DailyTech
- Intel's microcore future shown in pictures @ The Inquirer
- IDF Preview - Rambus Debuts PCI Express Gen2 @ Hot Hardware
- Intel Introduces Virtualized PCI Express @ DailyTech
- IDF Day 1 Coverage, Quad-Core QX6700 and 80-core Teraflop Chips @ Hot Hardware
- Intel uncorks quad cores and a teraflop chip @ Tech Report
And of course there's also plenty of photos and info from the show as it further unfolds over at this section of Intel's website folks.