Due to it being knocked off the bottom of our page with the rush of news to hit the scene in the past 24 hrs, below is a repost of all the Socket AM2 coverage across the web (incl. updated links).
After much anticipation as to whether or not it will deliver as the new desktop king, Socket AM2 is finally here for all to make their final judgements upon. AMD have just issued out the official announcement a short time ago, and theres a lot of coverage spreading across the web (refer to below listing) with particular focus on NVIDIA's "nForce 500 series" of chipsets which drive the new Socket AM2 platform. Socket AM2 motherboard chipsets from ATI, SIS and VIA are also on the way.
The most noteable change to this new platform from AMD is the migration from DDR1 to DDR2 memory, this allowing for a far higher ceiling in terms of memory frequency (and ultimately, bandwidth to boot!). AM2 is also a unified platform so rather then having your seperate low end, midrange, and high end platforms (in the previous instance of S754, S939, and S940), the full range of processors will be suited to the same socket design.
Keep checking back for more coverage as I update the listing below.
- Introducing AMD's AM2 Platform @ DailyTech
- AMD Socket AM2 Family Preview @ Phoronix
- NVIDIA nForce 500 Series Technology Overview @ Viperlair
- NVIDIA nForce Series 500 nForce 590 & AMD64 FX-62 @ Guru3D
- AMD 5000+/ FX62 / MSI K9N SLI PLAT @ DriverHeaven
- AMD Socket AM2: Athlon 64 FX-62 and nForce5 590 SLI @ Hexus
- SCAN 3XS Athlon 64 FX-62 AM2 system @ Hexus
- Evesham Technology FX-62 System @ Hexus
- Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Socket AM2 @ Hardware Secrets
- AMD Athlon 64 FX-62, Athlon 64 X2 5000+, Socket AM2,nForce 590 and RD580 AM2 @ HotHardware
- Athlon 64 FX62, X2 5000+, nForce 500 @ AMDZone
- AMDs new socket AM2 with DDR2 support @ Planet3DNow
- AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Socket AM2 @ PCModdingMy
- Athlon 64 FX-62 Review - AM2 and DDR2 Arrive to AMD @ PC Perspective
- Socket AM2 chipsets collide @ Tech Report
- NVIDIA nForce 500 Preview @ TechPowerUp
- Socket AM2 Platform: DDR2 SDRAM Support from AMD @ XBit Labs
- AM2 5000+ @ Neoseeker
- AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+/FX62 CPU @ Motherboards.org
- Processors for Socket AM2 @ Digit-Life
- MSI K9N Platinum and MSI K9N SLI Platinum @ Digit-Life
- Socket AM2 Platform as an Assembly - What, Why, and for Whom? @ Digit-Life
- Socket AM2 and Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @ NordicHardware
- AMD AM2 FX62 and NVIDIA nForce5 Launch @ GamePyre
- AMD Launches The Socket AM2 Platform @ LegitReviews
- AMD FX-62 @ MadBoxPC (Translated)
- Hard Tecs 4U: AMD64 goes DDR2 - Athlon 64 FX-62 @ Hardtecs4u
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ and FX-62 @ HardwareZone
- AMD's AM2 Platform @ LostCircuits
- AMD Athlon 64 FX-62/X2 5000+ AM2 Performance @ FiringSquad
- AMD Athlon64 5000+ AM2 @ T-Break
- AMD Socket AM2 @ Short-Media
- AM2: AMD Reinvents Itself @ Toms Hardware
- AMD Socket-AM2: Same Performance, Faster Memory, Lower Power @ Anandtech
SUNNYVALE, CALIF. -- May 23, 2006 --As part of AMD's ongoing commitment to deliver leading technology for desktop PCs, AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the immediate availability of the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 dual-core processor, the world's ultimate processor for PC enthusiasts, and the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+dual-core processor compatible with AMD's new socket AM2 platform. Socket AM2 from AMD is designed to enable next-generation platform innovations such as AMD Virtualization and high-performance, unbuffered DDR2 memory to the award-winning AMD64 architecture. Additionally, socket AM2 streamlines the work for motherboard manufacturers, while reducing costs through economies of scale, which can provide better products and increase supply chain flexibility.
"The introduction of socket AM2 is another example of AMD delivering on our customer promise, on time and with industry support from our AMD64 ecosystem," said Bob Brewer, corporate vice president, Desktop Division, AMD. "We are again pushing new levels of performance in our dual-core processors while enabling meaningful innovations like AMD Virtualization and DDR2 memory." OEMs shipping systems with socket AM2 processors include Alienware, Fujitsu Siemens, HP, and Lenovo, as well as more than 40 leading system builders worldwide. Through an open standards approach, AMD offers customers the ability to build differentiated solutions that meet commercial and consumer end-user needs.