PlayStation owners will soon be able to play PS4 games on PC and Mac...after a fashion.
In a recent PlayStation Blog post, Sony revealed that the PS4's next v 3.50 firmware update will allow Remote Play streaming of PS4 games to PC and Mac. Beta testing on the new update, codenamed Mushashi, begins tomorrow, so if you signed up be sure to check your email.
Microsoft recently made waves by revealing that it'll be folding key Xbox One games into its Windows 10 PC platform, starting with Quantum Break. Not content with watching from the sidelines, Japanese console-maker Sony is now ready to step outside its console comfort zone and embrace the PC as well. Essentially the PS4's Remote Play on PC will be like the Xbox One's cross-streaming capability on Windows 10 PCs, and since its all powered by the PS4, we won't be seeing any performance gains on higher-end PC hardware.
Check out the full list of changes that Musashi will bring in the list below, and Sony affirms it'll reveal more details soon.
- Friend Online Notification - Want to know the moment your friends come online? With this update, you can, as we've added an option to be notified when members of your friends list sign on the network.
- Appear Offline - Sometimes you want to play a game or watch a movie without being bothered by friends. Now it's easier to go incognito as we've added the option to appear offline. You can designate if you would like to appear offline when you log-in or at any time from your Profile or the Quick Menu.
- User Scheduled Event - Time for a play date! We've added the ability to schedule a future gameplay session with your friends on the system. When your event starts, users who registered for the event will automatically be added to a party so you can start playing right away.
- Play Together - This feature allows all members of a Party to see what each person is playing so that you can easily join a friend's game, or start a new game together.
- Other New System Features
- Remote Play (PC/Mac) - We're bringing PS4 Remote Play to Windows PC and Mac. This feature won't be available to test in the beta, but you can look forward to it soon.
- Dailymotion - With this update, you'll be able to live stream directly to Dailymotion on PS4. We'll also support archiving live broadcasts like we do for other streaming services.