Futuremark is feeling festive by the looks of things, with the Finnish benchmark giant releasing the VRMark beta for 3DMark, which is a tease of things to come in 2016.
In order to download VRMark you obviously need to own 3DMark, and have it on Steam. The beta is open to anyone who owns 3DMark on Steam, with a few steps needed to jump into the VRMark beta. One of the big requirements is that it does not run under Windows 7. Here's what you have to do:
- Open your Steam Library, and choose Software.
- Right-click on 3DMark, and select Properties.
- In the window that opens, click on the BETAS tab.
- Enter access code "HappyHolidays", then click on the CHECK CODE button.
- From the drop-down menu, select "2016 UI & VRMark Preview"
- The beta will now start downloading.
Once you've done this, you'll need to download the VRMark beta as separate DLC, which weighs in at 662MB. You'll need to follow these steps:
- Right-click on 3DMark in your Library, and select "View Downloadable Content."
- In the new window, click on "View available downloadable content for this product"
- For each DLC, click through to its store page, and click on the "Play Game" button.
- This adds the free DLC to your account and allows you to install it in 3DMark.
- When you have unlocked all the DLCs, launch 3DMark and enjoy!
There are known issues with the VRMark beta, with 'FM_kingkatt' on the Steam forums noting:
- The VRMark Preview does not work on Windows 7 as that OS is not supported by the VR headset drivers. We're looking into enabling monitor mode on Windows 7.
- VRMark Preview does not support multi-GPU yet. Disable SLI/Crossfire to avoid rendering issues. We're working on a fix for this.
- The VRMark Preview fails on PCs set to Turkish locale in Windows.
- The beta includes a workaround for the AMD driver issue where the preview videos in the UI caused some AMD video cards to use low power mode and run at lower clock speeds. If you experienced this issue earlier, please tell us whether the beta solves the problem for you and your exact video card model.