- How To: Home Media Server
If you're the proud owner of a dedicated home theatre (HTPC) but you sometimes feel guilty you've such a lovely powerful little unit which doesnt get used near as often as you'd like, then be sure to head over to BoxGods where they've just provided a well constructed guide on how to convert a HTPC into a "Home Media Server", effectively broadening it's uses in ways you've most likely never thought of before.
Consider the HTPC, a computer that generates a vast number of large files in the form of recorded TV shows and movies, and that has the almost magical ability to stream live TV to any and every PC in the house. Beyond that, those very PC's can perform all the functions of a PVR like pausing, scheduling recordings etc. Your HTPC is a natural candidate to bridge the gap between the loosely cobbled together networks we find in the home now, and the more robust networks found in most business environments.
We like to think of it as a Home Media Server, or HMS for short. This "How to" will cover the basics of converting and or maximizing a traditional HTPC so that it can also serve as an HMS. First I will cover the elements needed to build an HTPC/HMS, and then networking Guru Josh Allen will cover setting that network up in step by step detail, and explain how he would approach security.
- Articles and Reviews from around the Web
- Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset @ ComputingOnDemand
- SunBeamTech Wherever PCI Rack @ Techtastic
- Abit AX8 Motherboard @ InsaneTek
- ATI's new AGP Radeons @ TechReport
- Epson AcuLaser CX11N Multi Function Device @ Trusted Reviews
- Thermaltake TWV500 500W PSU @ TechPowerUp
- ASUS W2P00VB Review: More than Just a Notebook @ XBit Labs
- ASUS X850XT Platinum Edition @ TCMagazine
- VIA Technologies Demonstrates Multi-GPU Technology @ XBit Labs
- AGEIA Sets Pricing on PhysX Add-In Cards @ XBit Labs
Further Reading: Read and find more news at our news index page.