- The Basics of RAID
If you're wanting to get a brief yet solid understanding of what benefits there are to running a RAID storage array over operating your drives singularly, head over to BigBruin where they have a brief article up discussing the principles of RAID technology along with the different types of RAID configurations used in various instances.
A couple of the recent Tech Tips have made mention of RAID, but the level of detail required in those tips didn't shed much light on what RAID actually is. The number of e-mail responses and comments were convincing enough that an introduction to the basics of RAID would be an appropriate Tech Tip, so here it is.
The word RAID sounds like it might describe something Marines conduct in Fallujah, or a can of what all roaches fear, but it is simply an acronym that stands for Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks. Depending on who you talk to, the letter "I" can stand for either independent or inexpensive, but in my opinion independent is more appropriate, and far less subjective.
- Articles and Reviews from around the Web
- Auphan Online sits down with AIT to discuss their Catalyst Drivers @ AuphanOnline
- PolarFLO TT GPU W/C Block @ BensCustomCases
- Troubleshooting Your Computer @ PC Mechanic
- Samsung CLP-550 Series Printers @ Overclockers Online
- When Will Ugly Computer Cases Disappear? @ CoolTechZone
- Intel's Matrix RAID explored @ TechReport
- 2005 Intel Developer Forum Highlights @ DesignTechnica
Further Reading: Read and find more news at our news index page.