With thanks to "Ruined", a member of the nvnews forums, he's spent some time posting up a guide which explains how to go about enabling a feature by the name of High Dynamic Range (or "HDR" in short) lighting which is included within the latest 1.3 patch for FarCry (released just yesterday). The trickyness in enabling it is due to the fact that it's covering new ground as an 'unsupported beta' feature at this stage.
If you're wanting to know how it affects the visual experience of the game, you'll be glad to know the guide also includes a mass of before and after screenshots showing off it's effects. Unfortunately there's a couple of letdowns, the biggest being that only the GeForce6 family of graphics cards currently have the ability to make use of it at this stage. Second of all, lovers of antialiasing will be dissapointed to make note of the fact that AA must be completely disabled for OpenEXR HDR lighting to work.
HOW TO ENABLE HDR
Nvidia GeForce 6 card
DirectX 9.0C (included in SP2)
Nvidia 61.77 or later drivers
FarCry 1.3 patch
1. Set all Graphic settings to "Very High."
2. Anti-Aliasing must be disabled.
3. Add:"r_hdrrendering 7" "e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio 100.000000" "r_TexNormalMapCompressed 1" with the quotes to your farcry shortcut. For example:
"C:\Program Files\FarCry\Bin32\FarCry.exe" "r_hdrrendering 7" "e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio 100.000000" "r_TexNormalMapCompressed 1"
4. I recommend lowering your resolution to 1280x1024 or 1024x768 depening on CPU & GPU core speed. 1280x1024 is more appropriate for high speed athlon 64 CPUs with 6800U (or 6800GT @ 6800U) while 1024x768 works better for lower end P4 CPUs with 6800GT @ stock speeds.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Tesla Model S P85D goes head to head with McLaren 650S
- SAPPHIRE announces its new NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 graphics card
- See Star Citizen's current biggest flyable ship in 4K
- Twitter will livestream free NHL, MLB games
- For just $69, you'll get 1000+ hours of coding instruction
- ASRock Beebox-S (Intel Core i5-6200U) Mini PC Review
- AMD Positioning Itself to Become a Commanding Force in Rendering
- GA-EX58-UD5 New Bios Ver. F14
- SanDisk iXpand Memory Case and Battery for iPhone Review
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 + GTX 550 Ti
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio