- ATI & Nvidia PCI Express Shootout
The dutch boys from HardInfo have busted out a decent sized PCI Express shootout today, covering not only the main pointers as to how PCIe differs to AGP, but also spending quite a bit of time comparing performance with high-end cards from ATI and nVidia. I had trouble getting both google and altavista to translate their site for me but the benchmarks speak for themselves in any case.
- A problem with ATI's drivers in DOOM 3?
A new and interesting find regarding ATI's drivers with Doom3 was brought to light by the folks at Tech Report today, it could easily be said that the 'texture filtering issues' were intential merely for performance increases in an area where ATI isn't exactly showing a great deal of strength at the moment, an application-specific optimization to help try and level things up if you will. Of course there was no pure evidence of this and after further research and testing it looks to be nothing more than your ole' honest-to-goodness software glitch which one would expect is on the cards to be ironed out.
The problem with ATI's drivers in DOOM 3 has to do with texture filtering, and it is more visible on some textures than others. Textures with high-contrast patterns on them, like the metal grates in the game's Mars base, tend to show the problem most vividly. There is a clearly visible transition between mip map levels, as if trilinear filtering were not happening as it should.
- Articles and Reviews from around the Web
- SilverStone SST-SDP01 Portable USB 2.0 Card Reader @ Modsynergy
- Altec Lansing AHP-512 Headphones @ CoolTechZone
- Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router + WMP56G PCI Wireless Card @ Bonefide Reviews
- Nu Tech DDW-081 8x DVD+RW Drive @ 3dxtreme
- PDP Systems Patriot PC3200 Memory @ Techfreaks
- Sandisk Cruzer Titanium (very rugged) Flash Drive @ EverythingUSB
- Reminiscing in Low-Res: Classic Arcade Games Online @ Futurelooks
- Thermaltake Venus 12 K8 Cooler @ Bjorn3D
- nPowerTek TTIC NPH-201 Socket A Heatsink @ FrostyTech