- Sempron - Fresh Budget Goodness!
AMD's next generation budget based processor line "Sempron" is getting quite a bit of attention today with plenty of benchmarking tests and comparisons against Intel's Celeron line. Tech Report were the first to get their article up today which specifically look at the Sempron Socket-A 2800+ and Socket 754 3100+ variants. Also completed were articles from HotHardware and Techware Labs.
Update: AMD's official press release can now be read over at their website, covering all the models to be a part of the new Sempron line along with pricing and all that jazz too.
Seeing as the NDA's now off, i'm sure we'll be seeing quite a few more reviews hit the scene over the next 24 hrs. I'll be sure to update you with links as they come in folks! :-
For a while, AMD did a nice job balancing those concerns with the Duron processor, a direct competitor to Intel's Celeron. However, with the introduction of the Athlon 64 processor, the Duron started to fade away. The Athlon XP became AMD's low-end product, which only made sense given its mix of price and performance. However, the rise of this two-tiered Athlon lineup created confusion for a lot of folks, who were asking questions like, "Why should I pay more for this Athlon 64 3200+ when the Athlon XP 3200+ would seem to be just as good?"
That's a good question, and there are some good answers, too. But try explaining those answers to Joe Sixpack before his eyes glaze over-as phrases like "extra registers," "64-bit addressing" and "integrated memory controller" come gushing forth from your geeky face-and you'll start to understand the pickle AMD's marketing folks found themselves facing. So AMD decided it was time to resurrect a distinct value product line, and the AMD Sempron was born.
- Articles and Reviews from around the Web
- Silverstone SST-LC02 Case @ CoolTechZone
- Sony Wega Received: Free Flat Screens Proves To Be True @ GearLive
- 3R System Poseidon Liquid Cooler @ Hardware Zoom
- How to trouble shoot your DVD @ The TechZone
- Futurmark 3DMark Next Q&A @ Beyond3D
- Asus FX 5700 overclocking @ Dark-Tweaker
- HP Compaq nc4010 Ultra Portable Notebook @ Trusted Reviews
- RedOctane Ignition DDR Platform @ TechFreaks
- Thermaltake XTunner IR Fan Speed Controller @ Big Bruin
Further Reading: Read and find more news at our news index page.