- Complete ATI Reference Radeon 9600 Pro/XT Voltage Modding Guide
The term "volt-mod" is usually enough to scare most people away but it's often nowhere near as hard to accomplish as you think. Feeling a bit daring? Want to boost up performance somewhat with your 9600Pro/XT based card but you're ashamed to admit she's a dismal overclocker? How's your soldering skills? - Ok, enough with the questions... Head over to Adrian's RojakPot if you're keen on performing the mod to your card for maximum attainable performance. They've also explained how to go about the task for all 9800Pro owners in a previous guide as well.
As most of you know, a voltage boost is always useful in improving a processor's overclockability. Increasing the processor's voltage allows it to run faster than it normally can, albeit at the expense of a higher thermal output. The best part is increasing the processor's voltage is usually a simple matter of going into the BIOS and adjusting its voltage setting. You can also do the same to your system memory!
However, it is not so simple when it comes to boosting the voltage of your graphics card's GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) and memory chips. There is no BIOS setup menu for you to adjust its voltage. So, if we want to boost the voltages of the GPU and/or memory chips, we have no choice but to physically mod the graphics card. Such modifications to boost voltage are naturally called volt mods or voltage mods.
- Articles and Reviews from around the Web
- XTrac Ripper Optical Mouse Pad @ Buddha's LAN Room
- Kingston HyperX PC3200 CL2 1GB DDR Kit @ GideonTech
- AlphaCool Cape Watercooling System @ XYZ Computing
- Scythe Kamakaze Fan & Arctic-Cooling Fan Pro 2LTC @ Phoronix
- Build Your Own Specialty PS @ Monster-Hardware
- SimpleTech Pro-X 256MB Secure Digital Card @ Hardware Accelerated
- Thermaltake Tsunami Dream VA3000BWA Case @ Driver Heaven
- Lian Li PC-37A Aluminum Case @ Mikhailtech
- Logitech Cordless MX Duo Elite Desktop @ TweakNews
Further Reading: Read and find more news at our news index page.