TweakTown
Tech content trusted by users in North America and around the world
5,666 Reviews & Articles | 36,008 News Posts

Game developer lets people pirate his game, about pirating games

Game developer unleashes his game, a game development simulator, to pirates... but what happens next?

| Gaming News | Posted: Jan 29, 2014 10:59 am

Greenheart Games ran an interesting test last year, where the indie developer released its very first game, Game Dev Tycoon, into the world. What the team did, was release a cracked version of the game, minutes after upcoming up their Store.

 

TweakTown image news/3/5/35145_01_game_developer_lets_people_pirate_his_game_about_pirating_games.png

 

Where it gets interesting, is that Game Dev Tycoon is about, well, you guessed it - a simulation of being a game developer. What the pirated version of the game does is let players spend hours and hours building up their studio, but messages begin to pop up, warning the player that piracy is causing their studio to lose money, and sales.

 

TweakTown image news/3/5/35145_02_game_developer_lets_people_pirate_his_game_about_pirating_games.png

 

Over time, players' studios begin to bleed money, with newly created games having a high chance of being pirated. Greenheart Games had some hilarious responses that they found online, with gamers asking for help. One of them even said "why are there so many people that pirate? It ruins me!" Obviously this gamer means it ruins his game studio, within the game - all from a pirated copy of the game itself. Alanis Morisette would even be proud of this one, folks.

 

Within 24 hours of Game Dev Tycoon being made available, 93.6% of its copies were stolen, pirated versions - leaving just 6.4% of the $7.99 game, legit, purchased copies. The entire thing can be read on Greenheart Games' website, which is quite the read.

Related Tags

Further Reading: Read and find more Gaming news at our Gaming news index page.

Do you get our news RSS feed? Get It!

Post a Comment about this news

Latest Tech News Posts

View More News Posts

Latest Downloads

View More Latest Downloads

TweakTown Web Poll

Question: Did EA kill the Battlefield franchise with the terrible BF4 issues?

Yes, Battlefield is doomed

No, Battlefield will live on strong

I'm not sure, but I know EA needs to improve its game

or View the Results

View More Polls

Forum Activity

View More Forum Posts

Press Releases

View More Press Releases
Get TweakTown updates via Facebook!
Just click the "Like" button below