TweakTown
Tech content trusted by users in North America and around the world
5,914 Reviews & Articles | 38,107 News Posts

Yahoo buys news-summarizing app Summly for $30 million

Yahoo makes 15-year-old a millionaire overnight by acquiring his app, Summly

| Business, Financial & Legal News | Posted: Mar 26, 2013 4:35 am

Yahoo are on a continued mission to revamp their digital news and media business, with their latest acquisition of Summly, a startup that specializes in summarizing web content into a format made easier to consume media on a mobile device.

 

 

AllThingsD reports that the transaction saw Yahoo shifting $30 million to acquire the startup, 90% of it in cash with the remaining 10% in stock. The news gets better; with the iPhone app first designed by London-based Nick D'Aloisio, who was just fifteen years old when he created Summly.

 

What exactly does Summly do? Well, it allows you to choose your news sources from a bunch of pre-packages categories, or from your favorite websites. From there, it will let you enter keywords for topics that might be of interest too. Summly will also show you the latest stories that it has summarized in up to 400 characters, presented with a beautifully clean interface.

 

TweakTown image news/2/9/29325_03_yahoo_buys_news_summarizing_app_summly_for_30_million.jpg

 

Summly is also said to use artificial intelligence and natural language processing in order to generate the content provided to the user, so that you can see sentences that matter the most. Yahoo has said that the Summly team would be joining Yahoo "in the coming weeks." D'Aloisio posted about the acquisition on the Summly blog, saying that the iPhone app would be retired, but their "summarization technology will soon return to multiple Yahoo! products."

NEWS SOURCES
Techspot.com, Summly.com

Related Tags

Further Reading: Read and find more Business, Financial & Legal news at our Business, Financial & Legal news index page.

Do you get our news RSS feed? Get It!

Post a Comment about this news

Latest Tech News Posts

View More News Posts

TweakTown Web Poll

Question: Facebook's acquisition of Oculus VR will...

Improve Oculus Rift Development

Hamper Oculus Rift Development

Completely destroy Oculus Rift Development

Let's wait and see, I'm not sure

or View the Results

View More Polls

Forum Activity

View More Forum Posts

Press Releases

View More Press Releases