TweakTown
Tech content trusted by users in North America and around the world
6,055 Reviews & Articles | 38,941 News Posts
TRENDING NOW: DisplayPort 1.3 announced, supports 5K, as well as 4K at 120Hz

Steam offering real-money marketplace to buy and sell in-game items

Steam debuts Community Market Beta, allows users to buy and sell TF2 digital goods

| Gaming News | Posted: Dec 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Steam continues to work on bettering the user experience for its digital distribution system. Just recently, Steam released Big Picture and they are continuing to produce new features. Today sees the release of a real-money marketplace designed to allow gamers to buy and sell digital items.

 

TweakTown image news/2/7/27270_1_steam_offering_real_money_marketplace_to_buy_and_sell_in_game_items.jpg

 

The marketplace has launched with support for only Team Fortress 2, but Valve is looking to expand the market to more games. Funds are traded using Steam Wallet funds and, of course, Steam and the developer of the game get to take a cut of every transaction. Diablo 3's auction house is one of the prime examples of this kind of market place.

 

Steam collects a mere 5 percent from each transaction and the developer can set the cut they want to take from each. For instance, Valve is taking 10 percent of all TF2 transactions. This yields a total cut of 15 percent off of the total, which is much better than Blizzard's 30 percent take.

NEWS SOURCES:Techspot.com

Related Tags

Further Reading: Read and find more Gaming news at our Gaming news index page.

Do you get our news RSS feed? Get It!

Got an opinion on this news? Post a comment below!

Latest Tech News Posts

View More News Posts

Forum Activity

View More Forum Posts

Press Releases

View More Press Releases