Some of the hardware in the Apple MacBook Air is designed specifically for the MacBook Air so that everything would fit inside that tiny chassis. An example of that is the solid state drive which doesn't follow a traditional 2.5-inch form factor. Thankfully there are companies out there like RunCore who will build to such a niche market.
The drive itself is small. According to the RunCore press release it is "almost a half-size of conventional 2.5" SSDs without case." Usually when a device is shrunk down performance and storage capabilities take a hit, but that is not the case here. In this instance, this SSD offers up to 4 times the original storage amount of the MacBook Air.
It manages to have all that storage while performing better. Testing shows that the SSD is capable of over 500MB/s transfer thanks to its SATA III interface. It also offers Tier 1 Toggle Synchronous NAND which adds to its performance. The key features, as RunCore says, are as follows:
- Compatible with Late-2011 MacBook Air perfectly
- SATA III interface and Tier 1 Toggle Synchronous NAND
- Data Encryption: 128-bit AES-compliant
- ECC: Up to 55 bits correctable per 512-byte sector (BCH)
- Wear Leveling: Enhanced endurance by dynamic/static wear-leveling
- Trim supported
- Dimension: 108.9(L) x 24(W) x 3.2(T) mm