Our Download of the Day today is PeaZip 4.2.0.
PeaZip is an open source file and archive manager. It's freeware and free of charge for any use.
PeaZip can extract most of archive formats both from Windows and Unix worlds, ranging from mainstream 7Z, RAR, TAR and ZIP to experimental ones like PAQ/LPAQ family, currently the most powerful compressor available.
For archive creation, PeaZip suppors a wide range of compression and encryption standard, from fastes to most powerful ones, and allows to export job definition as scripts to bridge the gap between GUI and console applications, and let the user pick the best of the two worlds.
PeaZip has secure deletion feature, can verify file checksum and hash, and supports multiple strong encryption standards, optionally using two factor authentication (password and keyfile) for increased security:
7Z's AES256 encryption
ZIP WinZip's AE encryption based on AES256 (and ZipCrypto for legacy compatibility); can decrypt PKZip's AES encryption
FreeARC's ARC: AES256, Blowfish, Twofish256 and Serpent256 - this format is also capable to generate recovery records to protect data against corruption
PEA: AES256 EAX authenticated encryption
The latest version includes the following changes:
Changes in Version 4.2.0
# FILE MANAGER
* Immersive mode for file browser (full screen, no window border), toggle with Ctrl+F11 (option is volatile, not saved in configuration, it is just meant for enhancing browsing space on request)
* Improved custom applications menus
- allows 8 more applications, links or scripts
- automatically detects recent AVG versions, Microsoft Security Essentials, Google Chrome
* Improved thumbnail viewer
- does not rebuild thumbnails when sorting
- free memory changing small/large icon size
* Fixed: (Windows) browsing computer's root may fail at application startup
* Fixed: (Windows) loading list of objects from system context menu may not work under some conditions, only the first time application runs in a session
* Fixed: descending sorting is now remembered
* Fixed: correct size is now reported in status bar for selected items over 2GB
* Various minor fixes and improvements
# EXTRACTION and ARCHIVING
* ARC format, now archiving relative paths by default, optionally absolute paths can be stored (advanced options tab in archive creation interface)
* More information dispayed in report tab during operation: completed strings are displayed
# WINDOWS INSTALLER
* Reduce packages size
- some superseeded formats (lpaq1/5, paq8f/jd/l) moved to external plugin
- uses uncompressed Winodws icons (package compression is more efficient)