Our App of the Day today is Oink for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad with iOS 4.2 or later.
Location based apps such as Foursquare are all the range on smartphones thanks to the introduction of GPS on the phone.
Kevin Rose's Milk Inc. has just taken the covers off their first app, Oink. Yeah, like the pig "oink" "oink". It uses your location to find nearby places and instead of checking in, you rate products and services offered by those nearby stores, restaurants and so on.
Be careful of your first "oink" notification, it scared the crap out of me. Heh!
Oink is an easy way to rate and rank the things around you. Instead of just rating places, you rate the items inside. You could easily find the most popular items on a menu and see if a friend has tried anything there. Then if there's something you like, it's just a single press to rate it and share it with friends.
What you can do with Oink:
• Rate items around you and share with your followers
• See all the cool stuff your friends and other users are Oinking
• Find the best things in town (e.g. Best "Pizza" in Denver)
• Find the items at a place (e.g., Best roller coasters at Six Flags)
• Build "cred" in your areas of interest
• Share your Oink activity on Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare