Our Download of the Day today is Wireshark 1.6.0 RC1.
Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer, and is the de facto standard across many industries and educational institutions.
Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
Live capture and offline analysis
Standard three-pane packet browser
Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
The most powerful display filters in the industry
Rich VoIP analysis
Read/write many different capture file formats
Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
The latest version includes the following changes:
Changes in Version 1.6.0 RC1
# Bug Fixes
- Wireshark is unresponsive when capturing from named pipes on Windows.
- Ring buffers are no longer turned on by default when using multiple capture files.
# New and Updated Features
- Wireshark can import text dumps, similar to text2pcap.
- You can now view Wireshark's dissector tables (for example the TCP port to dissector mappings) from the main window.
- TShark can show a specific occurrence of a field when using '-T fields'.
- Custom columns can show a specific occurrence of a field.
- You can hide columns in the packet list.
- Wireshark can now export SMB objects.
- dftest and randpkt now have manual pages.
- TShark can now display iSCSI, ICMP and ICMPv6 service response times.
- Dumpcap can now save files with a user-specified group id.
- Syntax checking is done for capture filters.
- You can display the compiled BPF code for capture filters in the Capture Options dialog.
- You can now navigate backwards and forwards through TCP and UDP sessions using Ctrl+, and Ctrl+. .
- Packet length is (finally) a default column.
- TCP window size is now avaiable both scaled and unscaled. A TCP window scaling graph is available in the GUI.
- 802.1q VLAN tags are now shown by the Ethernet II dissector.
- Various dissectors now display some UTF-16 strings as proper Unicode including the DCE/RPC and SMB dissectors.
- The RTP player now has an option to show the time of day in the graph in addition to the seconds since beginning of capture.
- The RTP player now shows why media interruptions occur.
- Graphs now save as PNG images by default.
- TShark can read and write host name information from and to pcapng-formatted files. Wireshark can read it. TShark can dump host name information via
* [-z hosts]
* The tshark -z option now uses the
* [-z ,srt]
* syntax instead of
* [-z ,rtt]
- for all protocols that support service response time statistics. This syntax now matches Wireshark's syntax for this option.
# New Protocol Support
- ADwin, ADwin-Config, Apache Etch, Aruba PAPI, Babel Routing Protocol, Broadcast/Multicast Control, Constrained Application Protocol (COAP), Digium TDMoE, Erlang Distribution Protocol, Ether-S-I/O, FastCGI, Fibre Channel over InfiniBand (FCoIB),Gopher, Gigamon GMHDR, IDMP, Infiniband Socket Direct Protocol(SDP),JSON, LISP Control, LISP Data, LISP, MikroTik MAC-Telnet,MRP Multiple Mac Registration Protocol (MMRP) Mongo Wire Protocol,MUX27010, Network Monitor 802.11 radio header, OPC UAExtensionObjects, GPPI-GEOLOCATION-GPS, ReLOAD, ReLOAD Framing,RObust Header Compression (ROHC), RSIP, SAMETIME, SCoP, SGSAP,Tektronix Teklink, USB/AT Commands, uTorrent Transport Protocol,WAI authentication, Wi-Fi P2P (Wi-Fi Direct)
# Updated Protocol Support
* New and Updated Capture File Support
- Apple PacketLogger, Catapult DCT2000, Daintree SNA, Endace ERF, HP OpenVMS TCPTrace, IPFIX (the file format, not the protocol),Lucent/Ascend debug, Microsoft Network Monitor, NetworkInstruments, TamoSoft CommView