Our Download of the Day today is VLC Media Player 1.1.7.
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols without external codec or program.
It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
VLC can play:
MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 / DivX files from a hard disk, a CD-ROM drive, and so on
DVDs, VCDs, and Audio CDs
From satellite cards (DVB-S)
Several types of network streams: UDP/RTP Unicast, UDP/RTP Multicast, HTTP, RTSP, MMS, etc.
From acquisition or encoding cards (on GNU/Linux and Windows only)
The latest version includes the following changes:
Changes in Version 1.1.7
# Linux port:
- Integration with the KDE GUI platform is disabled due to KDE bugs
# Mac OS X port:
- Updated live555 library to fix playback of RTSP and Freebox streams
- Running VLC in 64bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.6.0 or later for speed and stability reasons
- Fix for Matroska / WebM remote code execution vulnerability.
- Update for Hebrew, Japanese, Danish and Russian translations