Our Download of the Day today is Wireshark 1.4.0 (32-bit).
Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer, and is the de facto standard across many industries and educational institutions.
Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
Live capture and offline analysis
Standard three-pane packet browser
Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
The most powerful display filters in the industry
Rich VoIP analysis
Read/write many different capture file formats
Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
The latest version includes the following changes:
Changes in Version 1.4.0
# The following bugs have been fixed:
* Update time display in background. (Bug 1275)
* Wireshark is unresponsive when capturing from named pipes on Windows. (Bug 1759)
* Tshark returns 0 even with an invalid interface or capture filter. (Bug 4735)
# New and Updated Features
* The packet list internals have been rewritten and are now more efficient.
* Columns are easier to use. You can add a protocol field as a column by right-clicking on its packet detail item, and you can adjust some column preferences by right-clicking the column header.
* Preliminary Python scripting support has been added.
* Many memory leaks have been fixed.
* Wireshark 1.4 does not support Windows 2000. Please use Wireshark 1.2 or 1.0 on those systems.
* Packets can now be ignored (excluded from dissection), similar to the way they can be marked.
* Manual IP address resolution is now supported.
* Columns with seconds can now be displayed as hours, minutes and seconds.
* You can now set the capture buffer size on UNIX and Linux if you have libpcap 1.0.0 or greater.
* TShark no longer needs elevated privileges on UNIX or Linux to list interfaces. Only dumpcap requires privileges now.
* Wireshark and TShark can enable 802.11 monitor mode directly if you have libpcap 1.0.0 or greater.
* You can play RTP streams directly from the RTP Analysis window.
* Capinfos and editcap now respectively support time order checking and forcing.
* Wireshark now has a "jump to timestamp" command-line option.
* You can open JPEG files directly in Wireshark.
# New Protocol Support
* 3GPP Nb Interface RTP Multiplex, Access Node Control Protocol, Apple Network-MIDI Session Protocol, ARUBA encapsulated remote mirroring, Assa Abloy R3, Asynchronous Transfer Mode, B.A.T.M.A.N. Advanced Protocol, Bluetooth AMP Packet, Bluetooth OBEX, Bundle Protocol, CIP Class Generic, CIP Connection Configuration Object, CIP Connection Manager, CIP Message Router, collectd network data, Control And Provisioning of Wireless Access Points, Controller Area Network, Device Level Ring, DOCSIS Bonded Initial Ranging Message, Dropbox LAN sync Discovery Protocol, Dropbox LAN sync Protocol, DTN TCP Convergence Layer Protocol, EtherCAT Switch Link, Fibre Channel Delimiters, File Replication Service DFS-R, Gateway Load Balancing Protocol, Gigamon Header, GigE Vision Control Protocol, Git Smart Protocol, GSM over IP ip.access CCM sub-protocol, GSM over IP protocol as used by ip.access, GSM Radiotap, HI2Operations, Host Identity Protocol, HP encapsulated remote mirroring, HP NIC Teaming Heartbeat, IEC61850 Sampled Values, IEEE 1722 Protocol, InfiniBand Link, Interlink Protocol, IPv6 over IEEE 802.15.4, ISO 10035-1 OSI Connectionless Association Control Service, ISO 9548-1 OSI Connectionless Session Protocol, ISO 9576-1 OSI Connectionless Presentation Protocol, ITU-T Q.708 ISPC Analysis, Juniper Packet Mirror, Licklider Transmission Protocol, MPLS PW ATM AAL5 CPCS-SDU mode encapsulation, MPLS PW ATM Cell Header, MPLS PW ATM Control Word, MPLS PW ATM N-to-One encapsulation, no CW, MPLS PW ATM N-to-One encapsulation, with CW, MPLS PW ATM One-to-One or AAL5 PDU encapsulation, Multiple Stream Reservation Protocol, NetPerfMeter Protocol, NetScaler Trace, NexusWare C7 MTP, NSN FLIP, OMRON FINS Protocol, packetbb Protocol, Peer Network Resolution Protocol, PKIX Attribute Certificate, Pseudowire Padding, Server/Application State Protocol, Solaris IPNET, TN3270 Protocol, TN5250 Protocol, TRILL, Twisted Banana, UMTS FP Hint, UMTS MAC, UMTS Metadata, UMTS RLC, USB HID, USB HUB, UTRAN Iuh interface HNBAP signalling, UTRAN Iuh interface RUA signalling, V5.2, Vendor Specific Control Protocol, Vendor Specific Network Protocol, VMware Lab Manager, VXI-11 Asynchronous Abort, VXI-11 Core Protocol, VXI-11 Interrupt, X.411 Message Access Service, ZigBee Cluster Library
# New and Updated Capture File Support
* Accellent 5Views, ASN.1 Basic Encoding Rules, Catapult DCT2000, Daintree SNA, Endace ERF, EyeSDN, Gammu DCT3 trace, IBM iSeries, JPEG/JFIF, libpcap, Lucent/Ascend access server trace, NetScaler, PacketLogger, pcapng, Shomiti/Finisar Surveyor, Sun snoop, Symbian OS btsnoop, Visual Networks