Our Download of the Day today is uTorrent 2.0.1 Beta 18408.
µTorrent is a small and incredibly popular BitTorrent client.
Micro-Sized Yet Feature Filled
Most of the features present in other BitTorrent clients are present in µTorrent, including bandwidth prioritization, scheduling, RSS auto-downloading and Mainline DHT (compatible with BitComet). Additionally, µTorrent supports the Protocol Encryption joint specification (compatible with Azureus 220.127.116.11 and above, BitComet 0.63 and above) and peer exchange.
µTorrent was written with efficiency in mind. Unlike many torrent clients, it does not hog valuable system resources - typically using less than 6MB of memory, allowing you to use the computer as if it weren't there at all. Additionally, the program itself is contained within a single executable less than 220 KB in size.
Skinnable and Localized
Various icon, toolbar graphic and status icon replacements are available, and creating your own is very simple. µTorrent also has support for localization, and with a language file present, will automatically switch to your system language. If your language isn't available, you can easily add your own, or edit other existing translations to improve them!
Actively Developed and Improved
The developer puts in a lot of time working on features and making things more user-friendly. Releases only come out when they're ready, with no schedule pressures, so the few bugs that appear are quickly addressed and fixed.
The latest version includes the following changes:
Changes in Version 2.0.1 Beta 18408
- Fix: Fixed half-open limit on Windows 7
- Fix: Fixed bug where uTorrent could freeze on broken web UI requests
- Fix: Fixed bug in uTP header field layout
- Feature: added advanced option to turn off uTP variable packet size
- Feature: added advanced option to turn off discoverability (web integration)
- Fix: uTP base delay bug fix and update interval tweaking
- Fix: uTP timer stability fixes
- Fix: calc_overhead bug
- Change: Support hyperlinks in autoupdate dialog
- Fix: Schedule map would show times that were "off" as grey in disabled view
- Fix: "Not downloading" disconnects when remote peer had previously been a seed
Further Reading: Read and find more Software news at our Software news index page.