Our Download of the Day today is Notepad++ 5.4.
Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL Licence.
Based on a powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag 'N' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
The latest version includes the following changes:
Changes in Version 5.4
1. Add theme selector to switch styles.xml on the fly, change styles.xml on one click.
2. Add google chrome drag and derop tab feature : drag out tab to create a new instance, transfer documents among several instances by drag and drop.
3. Add Mark all extension : user can mark any occurrence with 5 different colours.
4. Add new feature : column selection allows to insertion a string by typing characters in sequence (w/o column mode editor).
5. Detect UTF16 encoding (BE and LE) w/o BOM.
6. Fix crash bug : Double click a file associated with an older version of Notepad++ while a newer version of Notepad++ instance is running.
7. lmprove main menu structure (more compact). Language Menu can be compacted as well (optional, in Preference dialog).
8. Fine numbers margin width is changed dynamically according to the needed space (but keeping at least 3 digits).
9. File history list (under the File menu) is limited to 100 characters per item. Longer file names are fitted to 100 characters by replacing path components with ellipses.
10. Update Scintilla from v1.75 to v1.77.
11. Indent guideline can be shown w/o whitespace or tab symbol.
12. Fixed two bugs when calculating the width of the TaskList (document list when pressing ctrl+tab or right-click + mouse wheel.
13. Add an (hidden) option to make the "Filters" and "Directory" fields follow the current opened document in "Find in files" dialog. The new parameters are located in config.xml and are called: "fifFilterFollowsDoc" and "fifFolderFollowsDoc" (set to "yes"/"no")
14. Add new command parameters : -c (column) -x et -y (startup position).
15. Remove change line marker which does not work correctly. Include ChangeMarkers plugin instead.
16. Fix bug "Switch to found results window" command now switches back to the current edit view if the focus is already on the found results.
17. Fix the search result inaccurate colorization bug.
18. Fix the Mark all in selection bug (while Find Replace Dialog loosing the focus).
19. Add 2 plugins messages : NPPN_FILEBEFORELOAD and NPPN_FILELOADFAILED.
20. Fix New document not be switched while double clicking in Find in files result panel.
21. Fix conversion min to Maj and Maj to min (or vice et versa) in column selection bug.
22. Fix bug when the find dialog was closed the translucaent shadow remained in Windows 7.
23. Fix crash bug of find in files feature.
24. Add "follow current doc" checkbox in Find in file dialog.
25. Add the ability of tag match feature to not highlight comment zone in html/xml.
26. Fix TCL language highlighting bug.