Internet Firewalls: Software
So you are asking what a firewall is, right? Here is a brief description of a firewall. A firewall ABSOLUTELY ISOLATES your computer from the Internet using a "wall of code" that inspects each individual "packet" of data as it arrives at either side of the firewall - inbound to or outbound from your computer - to determine whether it should be allowed to pass or be blocked. The user of course controls this. Remember that there is no perfect firewall! One of the TOP firewall solutions is a Linux firewall, where a separate PC which shares an Internet connection and separates a network from the Internet and the network by a firewall. Linux firewalls are superb firewalls but are hard to setup for many Windows users, because of the general complexity.
In an unsorted order, here are some firewalls that I rated from personal experience and rating from other sources, recommendations, and use.
McAfee Firewall - Make sure you update to the latest version to address small issues seen in previous versions. 3.8/5
Sygate Personal FW (FREE) - Free for personal use. Still, customizing the firewall isn't easy and really available. Consider updates if you will be installing it or use latest version. 3.5/5
Symantec / Norton - Make sure you update to the latest version to address small issues seen in previous versions. Norton had an automatic rule creation on in the previous versions, and that was a real bad idea. Many issues are now addressed in the newer versions. 3.5/5
Tiny Personal FW (FREE) - Real excellent free personal firewall. Use this firewall if you are more technically orientated and want total customization of a firewall. Very highly recommended for knowledgeable individuals. 5/5
Zone Alarm (Free) & Pro (Not free) - Good 'out of the box' protection and simple setup. Firewall is not as customizable as Tiny Personal FW, but Zonealarm is very widely known. 4.5/5
In unsorted, here are some firewalls that I do NOT recommend at all for use. Personal experience and reviews showed me that these are not for anyone's use who wants a secure network.
BlackICE Defender (Not a firewall, but a program to monitor traffic)
Conseal PC FW
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Internet Security & Firewalls - Page 1
- Internet Security & Firewalls - Page 2
- Internet Security & Firewalls - Page 3
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Monster Hunter XX coming to Nintendo Switch
- Destiny 2 uses hybrid servers, P2P and peer-to-client
- Dreamcast's Seaman game is getting a sequel
- Only 37% of active PS4 users bought PS Plus
- Capcom wants to resurrect old IPs
- Free Paypal Money Adder Online Tool Legit 2017
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- ADATA AI910 Lightning Card Reader Plus Review
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Benchmarked: CPU & GPU War
- NIC not working after BIOS corruption (ASUS X202E)
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017