Once you've booted onto your installation CD and formatted your hard drive, installing Windows is basically a no-brainer. It will just start installing and eventually ask you for your product key and for your regional information.
- Driver and DirectX Installation
IMPORTANT: DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING OTHER THAN CPU-Z PRIOR TO INSTALLING YOUR DRIVERS, SERVICE PACKS, AND DIRECTX!
So you're inside your operating system. Now what? Things might seem unstable and slow; your screen resolution and color depth might seem rather low (stuff will look big and ugly). You need to install drivers. Prior to installing any drivers, it's best you install any service packs for your operating system. For Windows XP and 2000, simply go to http://www.windowsupdate.com in Internet Explorer - it won't work in Firefox or other Mozilla browsers. Click "scan for updates" and choose to install only service packs (which will be in the critical updates section).
For those XP users who wish to use just Service Pack 1, and not Service Pack 2, you can find the manual update here. I recommend experienced users stick with SP1 because it allows more tweaking to be done, and SP2 adds very little for the experienced user. In fact, there are even some programs that have problems with it. However, inexperienced users should stick to SP2 because it does have a few security features which are important.
* If you are running Windows 98, download and install the unofficial service pack here:
* If you are running Windows ME, download and install the unofficial service pack here:
These two service packs are extremely important for stability and performance. Their existence alone prevents me from writing a huge Windows 9x tweaking guide, because they make the vast majority of Windows 9x tweaks a waste of time. Don't worry about the unofficial part; these packs are more reliable than anything you will ever get from Microsoft for Windows 9x.
After you have your service pack, it's time for DirectX. To install DirectX (the current version is DX9c), go here, download it and install it. You can also find it on the CDs/DVDs of most new games.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Formatting, Partitioning and Windows Installation]
- Page 3 [Recommended Setup]
- Page 4 [Drivers]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Simplify World Travel With the Twist Plus+ World Charging Station
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's pre-order scheme could change everything
- Ocarina of Time gets an enchanting Unreal Engine 4 makeover
- ASUS unveils the new Poseidon Platinum GTX 980 Ti video card
- Sony unveils the Xperia Z5 Premium, the world's first 4K smartphone
- asrock x99 extreme 4 extra pins
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 (Intel Z170) Motherboard Review
- ACPI wakeup/shutdown no longer works after UEFI flash.
- Purchasing case fans in Taiwan
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015