Advanced Virus and Spyware Removal (cont.)
The first thing you should do is open up Services.msc (Start > Run > Services.msc). Look around in here and I'd suggest you look at http://www.blackviper.com to see if any services aren't part of Windows.
Now it's up to you to figure out whether it's part of a legitimate program, or if it's a virus embedded as a Windows service. This can be tricky, so how fast it goes also takes experience. I once found one called "Network Security Service." The name was quite the misnomer, as it was a virus add-on preventing me from deleting a startup executable of the virus. Things like that are what you're looking for. If you find one, first right-click on it and click "properties" on the context menu. Then, disable it. Finally, stop it. This should be done regardless of whether or not you find a virus in msconfig and/or Task Manager. If you can't get all of the suspected processes turned off and deleted, it's time for a new option.
Use a router for improved security - How much?
Memorize, write down, or put in a text file the locations of the files needing deletion. Restart the computer and get into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before the machine starts to boot into Windows. Once in Safe Mode, you should be able to delete the offending files. After you're sure you've deleted everything and removed all of the services and msconfig entries, restart again and go back into normal mode. If you still have the symptoms, the process, the service, the startup entry, or any combination of those, then things get more complicated.
The next step is to get a Windows XP or 2000 CD. You'll need to restart the computer and boot to the CD. Eventually, you'll get to the screen shown in the picture. Choose the option with the red square around it. The Recovery Console will ask you to log in to an installation. In most cases, the correct choice will be C:\WINNT or C:\Windows and then you will then be asked for the Administrator password and if you are running XP Home edition, it should be blank. If you're running XP Pro, 2000 Pro, 2000 Server, or 2003 Server, you better know what it is.
After you're in, you should type "listsvc" without quotes and press enter. This will begin to list the services installed, just like services.msc. Unlike services.msc, this won't allow any of them to be hidden, so even the virus' service(s) will be shown. The complicated part is figuring out what is what. The best way to do it is to compare the list to an unaffected computer's services list and figure out what is likely a virus. After you've figured out which one it is, you'll need to type "disable [service name]" to disable the service. If you've followed these steps and haven't screwed up, the machine should be rid of any pesky viruses.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- BioShock devs might be making new Twilight Zone 'game'
- A closer look at Mass Effect: Andromeda's power combos
- Digital Nintendo Switch games locked to one console
- All new Halo games will have split-screen, 343i confirms
- Dead Rising 4 shambles to Steam in March
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- توكيل صيانة ثلاجة كريازى 01093055835 رقم مبيعات كري&
- صور صيانة غسالات وستنجهاوس 01060037840 % رقم مبيعات و
- اخبار صيانة غسالة فريجيدير 01095999314 اتصل الان مب&
- هنا صيانة كلفينيتور العجمى 01010916814 هوت لاين الم&
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications