Network Security Basics
Aside from the various types of viruses and spyware, there are lots of problems that can occur as a direct result of someone else's actions - rather than you visiting a web page with spyware or downloading a program with a virus. There are a number of things that you can and should do to prevent worms, bandwidth theft, network intrusions, and related problems. The simplest and more effective is to get a firewall.
Use a router for improved security - How much?
You can get a hardware firewall, which can be a router, a PC setup as a router, an onboard hardware firewall (such as that on the nVidia nForce3 and 4 chipsets), or a device which serves no purpose other than being a firewall. If you share your Internet connection among multiple computers, than you almost certainly have a router, which will act as your hardware firewall. However, if you have two PCs using Internet Connection Sharing or an Ad-hoc wireless network, then you are most likely lacking in a hardware firewall.
A hardware firewall is suitable for most people's needs and won't cause many problems for most people. With routers and other hardware firewalls, port forwarding can be necessary to run certain programs, especially peer-to-peer file-sharing programs. If you are an inexperienced user but need Bittorrent or something similar, a hardware firewall may cause you problems.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds gets temporary paid crates
- iPhone 8 prices to allegedly start from $1,100 to $1,200
- Corsair majority stake bought for $525 million
- Google Daydream to have 11 devices by the end of 2017
- Nokia's flagship will be announced on August 16th
- Toshiba XG5 1TB OEM M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Toshiba N300 8TB High-Reliability HDD Review
- Alphacool Eiswand External CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Team T-Force Night Hawk RGB DDR4-3000 RAM Kit Review
- Phanteks Evolv Shift SFF Chassis Review
- Need for Speed Payback takes cars from scrap to stock to supercar in new trailer
- Visbit releases Unity SDK and web VR player for its all-in-one VR streaming service, bringing high quality VR streaming to the masses
- GWENT Gamescom 2017 tournament announced
- Toshiba NVMe SSDs now available with Lenovo's new ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers
- Mafia III: Sign of the Times DLC now available