We can see from our test results that it is pretty clear the Intel Pentium 4 is not a latency craver, as its design simply precludes any need for extremely low latencies which the AMD Athlon craves. It is however, a bandwidth hog. Intel Netburst was originally designed to work hand in hand with RDRAM, which for its time managed to introduce some extremely high bandwidth in the order of around 3.2GB/s when DDR was only able to push out 1.6GB/s which should be a pretty good indication of our claims and what our tests proved.
DDR-2's higher latency over DDR doesn't make it such a bad choice now that speeds are starting to reach 667MHz and above which is much quicker than the speeds which DDR-2 was first released at 533MHz. DDR-2 is now starting to show its colours, and with Dual Core, PCI-Express now starting to take a chunk of the bandwidth, its certainly a good thing to see that bandwidth is now in abundance.
We can see that when we use the tightest possible timings, performance is improved a little in our synthetic tests but when it comes to real-world (games), there are hardly any performance increases, definitely increases which you won't notice.
So with everything in mind, when it comes to setting up your system (overclocked or not), we can see that for the Pentium 4 platform series, higher bandwidth is more important than tighter timings when it comes to overall performance. Tight timings are good but are far from crucial for the Pentium 4 - keep this in mind when it comes to buying DDR-2, especially expensive DDR-2.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Naughty Dog announces March 18, 2016 release for Uncharted 4 on PS4
- Google is trying to make 4K video less demanding on your connection
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- Qualcomm's next chip will use machine learning to detect malware
- Intel teases 100TB or larger SSDs for 2020
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20