Intelligent Computing Practices
Many people recommend using a limited account when on the Internet so as to not install bad software. This is a good way of prevention, but it really doesn't tell you what you should avoid; there are plenty of things that can still go wrong even when on a limited account.
When receiving and replying to e-mail, check who has sent it and be sceptical of its legitimacy if it involves financial details. Banks do not send e-mails asking you for your account details, neither does Microsoft warn you about problems by e-mail, no companies ask you for their product's CD-Key.
When on public computers, refrain from saving passwords and usernames; be sure to sign out after each session and to clear the cache, cookies and URL's visited. Using Firefox creates a much more secure environment to explore the Internet. It can block pop-ups and doesn't have the security holes that hackers target within Internet Explorer. Only use one anti-virus and one firewall at the same time, as having two of a kind is really just a waste of resources as each program must check the data for itself just to reach the same result. Lastly it is most important to check for updates for your preventative programs regularly to combat new threats.
When you install a personal firewall, there usually aren't many settings to tweak as they come fairly secure 'out-of-the-box'. However anti-virus products can be tweaked heavily, usually involving a trade-off with protection and speed. Some anti-virus software can be configured to have different scanning levels with either low, medium or high. High is the most secure but it will take the longest time to analyse the files. Also, depending on your computer, you may not need all of the protection your anti-virus product automatically loads up. If you are still using Windows 9x, you could put your virus protection levels down to low, because no viri are written for it anymore.
Be careful if using another anti-spyware tool other than the ones that I mentioned, many of these programs are actually spyware themselves using clever tactics to make the user think it will help when it won't, so ideally use Spybot Search and Destroy or Lavasoft Ad-aware. If you choose to use both spyware products, don't be fooled into thinking Spybot Search and Destroy is actually spyware itself. Spybot creates dormant backups of the files it removes by default which other anti-spyware programs will then pick up as spyware. Generally, you do not need spyware / adware / malware to be backed up, so you could disable this option and prevent any issues.
How much to upgrade to x64 Edition?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Toyota pledges $50 million into autonomous car research centers at MIT
- PowerColor's new dual-GPU has 16GB of VRAM, requires 1000W of power
- QuakeCon 2016 announced for August 4-7, 2016
- Fallout 4 has more dialogue than Fallout 3 and Skyrim combined
- Batman: Arkham Knight is finally playable on PC thanks to new patch
- TP-LINK Archer C3200 Tri-Band AC3200 Wireless Router Review
- Does my motherbord support this RAM ?
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- How can you find updated drivers like people post to this site all the time?
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015