Ad-Aware SE Personal
Developer Homepage: Lavasoft
Our Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Our Summary: Ad-Aware SE Personal is free, easy to use through its stylish and compact GUI and provides fairly regular definition updates making it a good choice in combating Spyware.
One of the most well known and popular Spyware remover programs is called Ad-Aware and the first program we are taking a look at is Ad-Aware SE Personal by Lavasoft. The Swedish company offers three versions of Ad-Aware: SE Personal (free), Plus ($27) and Professional ($40). The more you spend the more features you will get. However, for basic Spyware removal needs Ad-Aware SE Personal will do what we need it to do and it won't cost you any money.
Plus and Professional versions include a program called Ad-Watch which runs in the background and looks out for Spyware that might try to install on or modify your system. It works just like any anti-virus software which monitors your system in real-time.
The latest reference file from Lavasoft at the time of writing this article is dated 10 / 10 / 2004 which is a good sign as you will have recent Spyware detection capabilities. If you are using a Spyware remover program which hasn't had its reference or definition database updated in a few months, you'd probably be better off using another program.
Ad-Aware SE Personal is a fairly basic Spyware remover (about a 2.6MB download) with a stylish and easily workable GUI (Graphical User Interface) with the must-have feature offering the ability to download updates through the program saving you having to hunt for them on Lavasoft's website. Let's take a closer look at the program in the screenshots I took while testing out the software - for the full size image, just click on each image below and a new window will pop-up.
When you load Ad-Aware you are first greeted with the screen as shown above. It is the status screen which tells you which definitions file you have loaded, when you last scanned and so forth. To begin searching your system for Spyware, just click the Start button toward the bottom right of the screen.
Next up we have the above screen where you choose which scan mode you wish to run. The smart scan is like a quick scan which should be run once a day. For the first scan, you should select full system scan which will take longer to complete and as the name suggests, provide a complete system scan.
Once the scan is complete, you will get the screen above which gives you a run down on what was scanned and what Ad-Aware found on your system.
Now you are presented with the scanning results which allow you to see which items are critical, others which are less important are listed in the negligible objects section. You can right click and choose to select all items which is handy if you have a whole bunch of Spyware that needs removing. If you double click on an item, it will bring up a new window with more info on that particular Spyware such as risk level, location on your PC and who made it.
Just choose the Spyware you wish to remove and click next and the Spyware will be put into quarantine (which keeps the Spyware isolated from your system) where you have the option to delete the file from your system later.
Overall - Ad-Aware SE Personal is free without any trial limitations, easy to use through its stylish and compact GUI and provides fairly regular definition updates making it a good choice in combating Spyware.
We are giving the SE Personal version of Ad-Aware a high rating of 8.5 out of 10 - a solid choice.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 2 [Spyware Definitions]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 3 [Ad-Aware SE Personal]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 4 [GIANT AntiSpyware]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 5 [RegFreeze]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 6 [Spybot - Search & Destroy]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 7 [SpyCatcher]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 8 [SpyKiller 2005]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 9 [Spyware Doctor]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 10 [Monitoring processes with WinTasks 5]
- Spyware and Adware Removal Guide - Page 11 [Third Party Resources and Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Rocket League gets a new map and a DLC car
- Battlefield 1 dev said shovel digging might come back
- South Korea is getting an online version of Titanfall
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset