My last experience with an MSI board in the past three years was with the X79 BigBang XPower 2, which turned out to be one of the strongest X79 motherboards. This didn't surprise me, as MSI has made a name for themselves over the years as a go-to for enthusiasts, gamers, and overclockers alike, but what impressed me was how well MSI had executed the hardware and BIOS to overclock better than most X79 boards I had tested.
Since the X79 days, MSI has revamped their hardware and lineup, offering motherboards targeted at specific segments. While the X79 BigBang XP2 I had tested was aimed at those who want everything tossed into one board, today I am looking at one of their segmented boards, specifically aimed at giving users the best overclock possible.
MSI provides five fan headers on their X99S MPower; two of the headers are PWM, and three are voltage mode. Both CPU fan headers are PWM controlled, and the system fan headers are voltage controlled. The board itself is well setup for extreme cooling. The heat sinks for the PCH and VRM are separate, which helps a lot when using extreme cooling, since you can remove the VRM heat sink without affecting the PCH cooling. The PCI-E layout is a bit different than some other boards we have seen; it supports 3-Way SLI. The M.2 slot is very fast, supplying 32GB/s of bandwidth, which is more than double the speed of standard M.2 ports.
PRICING: You can find the MSI X99S MPower for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The MSI X99S MPower retails for $284.30 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Voltage Regulator Circuit Analysis]
- Page 3 [Overclocking and BIOS Setup]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro 2 specs leak: Dual camera, 3GB of RAM
- New leak confirms Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 design
- SAPPHIRE announces 'Mining Edition' Radeon RX cards
- Huawei Honor 9 is now available in Europe
- Vivo first with fingerprint sensor under mobile display
- BIOSTAR X370GTN Gaming Motherboard Review
- Intel Optane in RAID 0 - World's Fastest System Disk
- GIGABYTE Z270X-Designare Motherboard Review
- Intel SSD 5 545s 512GB SATA III SSD Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller