My last experience with an MSI board in the past three years was with the X79 BigBang XPower 2, which turned out to be one of the strongest X79 motherboards. This didn't surprise me, as MSI has made a name for themselves over the years as a go-to for enthusiasts, gamers, and overclockers alike, but what impressed me was how well MSI had executed the hardware and BIOS to overclock better than most X79 boards I had tested.
Since the X79 days, MSI has revamped their hardware and lineup, offering motherboards targeted at specific segments. While the X79 BigBang XP2 I had tested was aimed at those who want everything tossed into one board, today I am looking at one of their segmented boards, specifically aimed at giving users the best overclock possible.
MSI provides five fan headers on their X99S MPower; two of the headers are PWM, and three are voltage mode. Both CPU fan headers are PWM controlled, and the system fan headers are voltage controlled. The board itself is well setup for extreme cooling. The heat sinks for the PCH and VRM are separate, which helps a lot when using extreme cooling, since you can remove the VRM heat sink without affecting the PCH cooling. The PCI-E layout is a bit different than some other boards we have seen; it supports 3-Way SLI. The M.2 slot is very fast, supplying 32GB/s of bandwidth, which is more than double the speed of standard M.2 ports.
PRICING: You can find the MSI X99S MPower for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The MSI X99S MPower retails for $284.30 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Voltage Regulator Circuit Analysis]
- Page 3 [Overclocking and BIOS Setup]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Super Mario Odyseey hits 7 million views on YouTube
- Mass Effect: Andromeda will support HDR10, Dolby Vision
- GIGABYTE's Aorus brand is ready for next-gen GPUs
- Survive the 'Inferno' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway
- Samsung's inquiry blames batteries for the Note7 fiasco?
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99