Intel introduced the consumer market to DDR4 with the introduction of the X99 platform. These are the early days of DDR4, and top kits are in the 3300MHz range, which is quite modest considering DDR4 is projected to be at 4000MHz+ in the near future. Nevertheless, DDR4 kits are pricey, and as with anything that costs you a kidney, it is good practice to get to know your purchase inside and out.
At launch, there wasn't even standardized support for memory dividers above 26.66x, and many have taken to using BCLK dividers to achieve the rated speeds of their kits. DDR4 isn't overly complicated, and overclocking DDR4 is basically the same as overclocking DDR3. There are some interesting new changes that come with the new standard, and I will cover those today.
In the slide above, you will notice that most of DDR4's advantages over DDR3 come in the form of power savings. For starters, the main DDR voltage is now 1.2v stock versus 1.5v with DDR3. A new voltage called VPP was also introduced; VPP is the voltage for the electrical high for DRAM row access.
For DDR4, JEDEC decided to introduce an external VRM that provides a 2.5v electrical high voltage for the word line (row access). Since the word line voltage is no longer pumped up from the DDR voltage (like it was for DDR3), the inefficiencies of pumping up the DDR voltage are gone, and instead you get power savings.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test Setup and The Kits]
- Page 3 [Timing, Training, Multiplier, and Density Investigations]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei officially announces Honor V9
- Nintendo unboxes the Nintendo Switch
- NieR: Automata PC release date 'accidentally' revealed
- Nintendo Switch launch game exceeds console's storage
- AMD will dominate the mid-range with Ryzen 7 1700X
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- E5450 oveclock on EP45-DS3L
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood