A little over a year ago nVidia ruled the graphics card roost and ATi was starting to release some interesting though somewhat problematic hardware and drivers. Fast forward a year later and ATi is now considered to be on top in the graphics hardware stakes, and the ATi "Catalysts" have rapidly matured into a very stable and well-performing driver set.
Given the general criticism of ATi drivers in the past, the Canadian company has taken great pains to genuinely improve the Catalysts, and now releases a new WHQL certified driver set every month - typically packed with bug fixes, performance improvements and new features.
With that kind of introduction, you'd think I'm on ATi's payroll...of course I'm not (but I am open to offers). Yes, I am the proud owner of a Radeon 9800 Pro, but I'm not blind to the many people still making their frustrations known at problems they're having with their ATi hardware. These people often lay the blame squarely on the Catalysts.
I however strongly believe that the vast majority of these problems are caused by badly installed drivers, driver "residue" and poorly configured settings both during and after setup. Yes, that's right, I'm blaming you! But don't worry, I've written this quick guide to take you step by step through the best method for doing a so-called "clean install" of the Catalysts, and the associated steps in minimizing potential driver-related problems.
I know some of you may doubt me, but the truth of the matter is that from my own personal experience I know that there are virtually no problems with the recent Catalysts or ATi hardware - most of it is related to driver setup.
How much for a high-end Radeon graphics card?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LG partners with REEDS Jewelers for the LG Watch Urbane Luxe
- Report: Prior to breach, no one wanted to purchase Ashley Madison
- Konami developers didn't take holidays to get MGS V on PC earlier
- Survive 'The Walking Dead' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway
- Mortal Kombat X cancelled for the Xbox 360 and PS3
- H97 boards, graphics cards and CPUs running hotter than on Z97 boards
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
- Build Advice End of 2015 ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
- X99 Extreme 6ac eSATA
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20