Unlocking the Athlon XP
With the advent of the Athlon XP processors, it was thought that we wouldn't be able to unlock the processors anymore. If you use the tricks listed previously for the Thunderbird chips, then you'll have created yourself a very light paperweight. It seems that AMD got a little tricky and created an intricate electrical pathway under the processor's outer covering. This created some possible shorts in the processor if you messed around with the bridges.
Another nasty surprise was that there was now a small hole between each of the L1 bridges. If you filled this valley with a conductive material, you would successfully short out the processor and destroy it. Things were beginning to look bad for the AMD enthusiast crowd.
But then one of the tech sites (sorry, but I don't recall which one made the initial discovery) discovered that if you filled these valleys with a nonconductive material and then made a pathway over this material and connected the L1 bridges in that manner, well, you could unlock your processor again!
In the beginning of this discovery period, there were several different methods that were developed to unlock this new Athlon XP, but many of them were nearly as suicidal as shorting out the processor. But after the water cleared, there were two basic ways to unlock your Athlon XP. The first was to fill the holes with Super Glue and then use a conductive ink or similar material to connect the bridges. While this will give you a permanent solution, the small size of the valleys makes it a difficult proposition.
This brings us to the second method, using a third party kit to unlock the processor. The connection isn't permanent, but this allows you to wipe off any mistakes that you make while applying the compounds and begin again. I have also found that while not permanent, it does not wear off over time and should last quite a long while. About the best product I've found so far for this purpose is the Athlon XP Unlocking Kit available from HighSpeed PC.
To see exactly how to unlock the Athlon XP processor, check out the TweakTown review of the Athlon XP Unlocking Kit. It not only covers the kit itself, but also works as a reasonable guide to unlocking your own processor. But so that you can see the finished product, here is a quick picture for you.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- AMD OC Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 2 [Terms/Definitions]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 3 [Basic Strategies]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 4 [Additional Tweaks - Cooling]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 5 [Additional Tweaks - BIOS Pt 1]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 6 [Additional Tweaks - BIOS Pt 2]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 7 [Additional Tweaks - BIOS Pt 3]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 8 [Unlocking the Processor - TBird]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 9 [Unlocking the Processor - Athlon XP]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 10 [General Troubleshooting]
- AMD OC Guide - Page 11 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- Be Quiet! Announces Silent Base 600 Case Series
- PNY releases the Mini-mobile HP v165w USB 2.0 Flash Drive
- The Crew WILD RUN PC CLOSED BETA WILL BE PLAYABLE FROM OCTOBER 15TH TO OCTOBER 19TH 2015
- MLG Announces Broadcast Talent for World Finals in New Orleans
- Patriot Announces New Viper 4 3600MHz Dual-Channel Memory Kit