Benchmarking and Further Optimization
To see how your system fares with UT2003, and hence whether your system is optimized or not, run the UT2003 Benchmark. You can find this program (Benchmark.exe) in your x:\UT2003Demo\System directory. Make sure you close down all background programs and run this file. It will execute a series of demos and provide you with a score.
Now go to an Unreal/Unreal Tournament fansite forum and undoubtedly you'll find others proudly displaying their results. See if you can find someone with a similar CPU, Graphics card and RAM, and similar UT2003 resolution and settings and compare results (make sure you check whether they've overclocked or not). If your results are noticeably lower, then you've got room for more tweakage on your system.
If you run Windows XP then I suggest following my WinXP Tweak Guide: From Reformat to Relax to optimize your system. You'll notice significant improvements in games like UT2003 if you do.
Just added - with thanks to Paul Sullivan from 3DGPU - are some of the special moves you can perform in UT2003.
Adrenaline Moves: (When Adrenaline Is At 100)
BERSERK: Fwd, Fwd, Back, Back
INVISIBILITY: Right, Right, Left, Left
BOOSTER: Back, Back, Back, Back
SPEED: Fwd, Fwd, Fwd, Fwd
On the Adrenaline Moves, if you have an inverse mouse set, you may need to try reversing the order of the commands, ie - instead of Fwd, Fwd, Back, Back try Back, Back, Fwd, Fwd.
Other Special Moves:
DOUBLE JUMP: Jump, then jump again at the top of the first jump
DOUBLE DODGE: Double tap Strafe Left or Right, Forward or Backward
DODGE JUMP: Perform dodge, then jump before you land
WALL JUMP: Run along a wall and jump into it. Press jump and opposite strafe when you hit the wall. (If the wall is to the right, jump + strafe left and vice versa)
LIFT JUMP: When very close to the top of a lift, jump and you receive a great deal more momentum, propelling you a lot further
SHIELD JUMP: Charge up the primary fire mode of the shield gun, look towards the floor and release. After the kickback, jump again to pull off the shield jump
DOUBLE DODGE and DOUBLE JUMP can be particularly useful for climbing rocks and slanted walls that might otherwise seem to steep. Simply try double dodging or double jumping forward as you face upwards against the wall or rocks in front of you. You can double jump to get to high areas and jump over large holes and gaps that might otherwise be too long for a single jump to get past.
For example, in the Bombing Run game, when you deliver the ball into the ring, you must Double Jump in order to reach the ring barrier and get 7 points. You can shoot it into the ring for 3 points if you wish to score lower but not have to respawn.
That's just the basics for you. The demo is already fairly optimized and the gaming code seems very tight (as you'd expect from Epic) so no major performance tweaks aside from the above have come to light. Of course, the demo only came out yesterday at the time of writing this so there may be more to come. If you have any working tweaks you'd like to share with me, email me (click my name at the top) and let me know and I'll include them in the guide. Oh and keep an eye out for the final, super-duper, larger-than-life Comprehensive UT2003 Tweak Guide when the final version hits the stores.
Now that you're recharged from this break, get back to UT2003 and next time you need a break, drop into our Gaming Forums to read about more tweaks and tips, or just share UT2003 experiences and benchmarking numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 2 [Download and Settings]
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 3 [Advanced Tweaks]
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 4 [HighQ Settings & Console]
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 5 [Benchmarking & Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SSD costs expected to rise by 6-10% in early 2017
- Playdead drops Inside game demo free via Steam site
- Small patch for No Man's Sky incoming
- Resident Evil 7's campaign takes 14-16 hours to beat
- Worms WMD is getting an update on December 7
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset
- Tesoro opens new product line with the release of its Zone Balance gaming chair