Benchmarking and Further Optimization
To see how your system fares with UT2003, and hence whether your system is optimized or not, run the UT2003 Benchmark. You can find this program (Benchmark.exe) in your x:\UT2003Demo\System directory. Make sure you close down all background programs and run this file. It will execute a series of demos and provide you with a score.
Now go to an Unreal/Unreal Tournament fansite forum and undoubtedly you'll find others proudly displaying their results. See if you can find someone with a similar CPU, Graphics card and RAM, and similar UT2003 resolution and settings and compare results (make sure you check whether they've overclocked or not). If your results are noticeably lower, then you've got room for more tweakage on your system.
If you run Windows XP then I suggest following my WinXP Tweak Guide: From Reformat to Relax to optimize your system. You'll notice significant improvements in games like UT2003 if you do.
Just added - with thanks to Paul Sullivan from 3DGPU - are some of the special moves you can perform in UT2003.
Adrenaline Moves: (When Adrenaline Is At 100)
BERSERK: Fwd, Fwd, Back, Back
INVISIBILITY: Right, Right, Left, Left
BOOSTER: Back, Back, Back, Back
SPEED: Fwd, Fwd, Fwd, Fwd
On the Adrenaline Moves, if you have an inverse mouse set, you may need to try reversing the order of the commands, ie - instead of Fwd, Fwd, Back, Back try Back, Back, Fwd, Fwd.
Other Special Moves:
DOUBLE JUMP: Jump, then jump again at the top of the first jump
DOUBLE DODGE: Double tap Strafe Left or Right, Forward or Backward
DODGE JUMP: Perform dodge, then jump before you land
WALL JUMP: Run along a wall and jump into it. Press jump and opposite strafe when you hit the wall. (If the wall is to the right, jump + strafe left and vice versa)
LIFT JUMP: When very close to the top of a lift, jump and you receive a great deal more momentum, propelling you a lot further
SHIELD JUMP: Charge up the primary fire mode of the shield gun, look towards the floor and release. After the kickback, jump again to pull off the shield jump
DOUBLE DODGE and DOUBLE JUMP can be particularly useful for climbing rocks and slanted walls that might otherwise seem to steep. Simply try double dodging or double jumping forward as you face upwards against the wall or rocks in front of you. You can double jump to get to high areas and jump over large holes and gaps that might otherwise be too long for a single jump to get past.
For example, in the Bombing Run game, when you deliver the ball into the ring, you must Double Jump in order to reach the ring barrier and get 7 points. You can shoot it into the ring for 3 points if you wish to score lower but not have to respawn.
That's just the basics for you. The demo is already fairly optimized and the gaming code seems very tight (as you'd expect from Epic) so no major performance tweaks aside from the above have come to light. Of course, the demo only came out yesterday at the time of writing this so there may be more to come. If you have any working tweaks you'd like to share with me, email me (click my name at the top) and let me know and I'll include them in the guide. Oh and keep an eye out for the final, super-duper, larger-than-life Comprehensive UT2003 Tweak Guide when the final version hits the stores.
Now that you're recharged from this break, get back to UT2003 and next time you need a break, drop into our Gaming Forums to read about more tweaks and tips, or just share UT2003 experiences and benchmarking numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 2 [Download and Settings]
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 3 [Advanced Tweaks]
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 4 [HighQ Settings & Console]
- UT2003 Demo Tweak Guide - Page 5 [Benchmarking & Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- System Shock reboot gets 9 minutes of new gameplay footage
- Modders morph Skyrim into amazing standalone RPG Enderal
- China is the first with a 3D printed house, was built-in 45 days
- Battlefield 1 has Async Compute and DX12, expect 'DX12 fireworks'
- Volkswagen fraud settlement biggest in US history, hits $15 billion
- Deleted driver software
- MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G - Silent Gaming Major OC Headroom
- New Gaming Build - Looking fro feedback
- Fractal Design CORE 500 Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Chassis Review
- H110M-ITX loses USB and PS1 when WIN 7 loads
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines