To access: Control Panel>Display or Right click on desktop>Properties
Most settings can be adjusted to taste. Performance-related settings are discussed below.
Once you've made your changes in the other areas of display settings, save them as a custom theme here.
For maximum performance, don't set a desktop wallpaper, or alternatively choose a less complex wallpaper small in file size. This speeds up bootup time and minimises memory usage as the wallpaper sits in memory.
Select None. Modern monitors don't need screen savers to protect the display.
Under the Screen Saver tab, select the Power button. Under Power Schemes, set all three options to Never. Under the Advanced tab, untick both boxes and for the "When I press the power button on my computer" set to "Shut Down". Under the Hibernate tab, untick "Enable Hibernation" to improve stability and free up disk space. Under the UPS tab, if you don't have an Uninterruptible Power Supply leave the settings on default. See Services section for turning off the service altogether.
Set to taste. Under the Effects tab untick all boxes for maximum graphics performance.
The settings under this tab, and those under the Advanced button are dependant on taste and your graphics card.
Sounds and Audio Devices
To access: Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices
Most settings can be adjusted to taste. I recommend ticking "Place volume icon in the taskbar".
Disable as many system sounds as you can by selecting each Program Event>[None] from the Sounds list below. Alternatively, you can assign the same sound to several events. These various sounds sit in system memory and hence the less the better. In particular I recommend disabling sounds for Start Windows and Exit Windows to speed up booting and shutting down. Once done, Save these new settings by clicking "Save As..."
Audio and Voice
Make sure the default device in each of these categories is your primary sound card then tick "Use only default devices". Click the Advanced button and select the correct speaker configuration, and under the Performance tab set "Hardware Acceleration" to Full and "Sample Conversion" to Best.
How much to upgrade to x64 Edition?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 1 [Introduction]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 2 [Before We Begin & Benchmarking]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 3 [Logon, Taskbar and Folders]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 4 [Hard drive & Recycler]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 5 [Display & Audio]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 6 [System]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 7 [MSConfig & Services]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 8 [Group Policy]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 9 [Registry Editor]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 10 [Further Optimization]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 11 [Maintenance & Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ubisoft's latest 'The Breach' trailer for Rainbow Six: Siege
- Quentin Tarantino explains his love for 70mm, says it trumps digital
- Man gets shot, instead of calling the cops, he grabs an Uber home
- New Fallout 4 mod dramatically overhauls in-game landscapes
- Apple rumored to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the next iPhone
- wifi card for gigabyte x99m gaming 5 microatx
- Newly built PC won't boot
- Spectre (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis