To access: Install and click on Icon or search for and run WinOptimizerSuite.exe
The main reason to use WinOptimizer is to keep your system clean. To start with, double click on the "Drive Cleaner" module, click on the Scan button and tick "Scan in Turbo Mode". Now select "Start Scan" and it'll find all the useless temporary files and junk which regularly build up on your drive. Click on the Details button to see the files it wants to delete. Unselect any files you want to keep, click OK then select Delete and they're sent to the Recycle Bin. The "Registry Cleaner" module works in exactly the same way, and picks up some entries RegCleaner may miss. Backups are made of registry entries you delete so if anything goes wrong, you can restore them later. Both modules are quite foolproof and should be run often to keep your system clean. The DLL Cleaner module in particular is very dangerous so use with caution.
To access: Install and click on Icon or search for and run Ad-aware.exe
Adaware finds and gives you the option to remove Spyware. Spyware hides on your system and downloads ads or sends data on you to other parties. It's worth finding and removing. Run Adaware and click the Scan Now button, select "Perform Smart system-scan" and make sure the "Activate In-depth scan" option is selected. Now simply click Next and the scanning begins. Once it has found some spyware, click Next, check the boxes next to each one found and click Next again to remove them. Just remember that you need to regularly download the latest "Signature File" which Adaware uses to identify new Spyware components. You do this by clicking the small Globe icon on the top right of Adaware.
Regular Maintenance of WinXP
To keep WinXP running as fast as the day it was installed, I highly recommend you regularly use the following "regimen":
1. Run a Virus Scanner and then a Trojan scanner (like The Cleaner)
2. Run Adaware, Regcleaner and WinOptimizer - delete all the files and entries they find.
3. Delete any additional files you feel you no longer need. Empty the Recycle Bin as well.
4. Go into MSConfig or Registry Editor and remove any recently-installed programs from the Startup list.
5. Go into the Services Editor and disable new non-MS services (such as Nvidia Driver Helper or ATi Hotkey Poller)
6. Go to the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder and delete the entire contents.
7. Run Defrag. Once finished, run the Error Checking utility on reboot.
8. Run Bootvis as instructed above (make sure the Task Schedule service is on Automatic).
This should be done at least once every two weeks - you could perhaps skip steps 6 and 8 and do it more often. Steps 2-5 and 7 should definitely be done after installing new drivers, or major applications/games.
There you have it. Your system should now be turbocharged - and hopefully the next reinstall will be a long way away :)
Important: - Once you applied the tweaks in this guide, head straight over to the recently released sequel which takes XP tweaking to the next level by bringing together customization, convenience and troubleshooting tips, tricks and tweaks into one guide. Guaranteed to please...check it out:
To give due credit, I didn't come up with a lot of these tweaks nor do I claim to. For more detailed information on the tweaks in this guide and others I may not have included see the original guides I based a great deal of this guide on:
Also, try the following tools for more tweaking fun:
You can discuss this guide further in our forums. I'd love to hear your feedback.
How much to upgrade to x64 Edition?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 1 [Introduction]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 2 [Before We Begin & Benchmarking]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 3 [Logon, Taskbar and Folders]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 4 [Hard drive & Recycler]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 5 [Display & Audio]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 6 [System]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 7 [MSConfig & Services]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 8 [Group Policy]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 9 [Registry Editor]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 10 [Further Optimization]
- WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax - Page 11 [Maintenance & Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Mad Max game looks absolutely stunning in 8K
- OSVR updates its hardware, delivers 1080p 120Hz display and more
- WhatsApp is now home to 900 million users
- Toyota pledges $50 million into autonomous car research centers at MIT
- PowerColor's new dual-GPU has 16GB of VRAM, requires 1000W of power
- Gigabyte GA-170-DH3
- TP-LINK Archer C3200 Tri-Band AC3200 Wireless Router Review
- Does my motherbord support this RAM ?
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015