Intel X25-M G2 80GB Solid State Drive
Buy Now and Price - $289.99
Nothing says I love you more than buying that special someone the best there is. Like just about everything else, the term best is usually associated with the highest cost, but luckily for you solid state drives have decreased in cost over the last six months drastically.
The second generation Intel X25-M is currently the fastest consumer solid state drive on the market for use in Windows under real world conditions. Other SSDs claim faster read and write speeds, but the 10-channel controller simply runs circles around the competition.
Newegg currently has the Intel X25-M 80GB drive on sale for 289.99 and if your special someone has been really good this past year, the 160GB version is available for 599.99. Both models use the 2.5 inch form factor and are easily installed into both notebooks and desktops.
SimpleTECH by Hitachi SimpleTOUGH
Buy Now and Price - $110 on PriceGrabber
The Intel X25-M is an amazing product, but the Hitachi SimpleTOUGH can take a beating and keep on ticking while having the advantage of being portable.
Hitachi advertises the SimpleTOUGH as being a robust portable storage device, but the biggest advantage is that you just plug the drive into a PCs USB port and the unit is powered entirely by USB power.
Newegg doesn't list the SimpleTOUGH, but we were able to find the 320GB version on sale at Buy.com for 89.99 and the 500GB model for only 123.55.
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB HDD
Buy Now and Price - Various prices on PriceGrabber
When we reviewed the Western Digital Caviar Green back in February, it had an MSRP of 299.99 and the overall score of the drive took a big hit due to its high cost. This week Newegg is blowing these out for only 139.99 and giving you free shipping . At this price you might want to get one for yourself as well since the Caviar Green holds an amazing amount of data and operates with nearly 40% less power than most of the competition.
In our testing we found that the Western Digital achieved great performance numbers. For the money, if you only had room for one hard drive in your computer the Western Digital Caviar Green would have to be it.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Shane's Holiday Picks - Video Cards and RAM]
- Page 3 [Cameron Wilmot's Holiday Picks - HD Media Player and Pen Drive]
- Page 4 [Chris' Holiday Picks - Storage]
- Page 5 [AJ's Holiday Picks - Gadgets]
- Page 6 [Ben's Holiday Picks - HTPC and HD Movies]
- Page 7 [James' Holiday Picks - Audio]
- Page 8 [Sean's Holiday Picks - Motherboards and Networking]
- Page 9 [Chad's Holiday Picks - Casing and Cooling]
- Page 10 [Simon's Holiday Pick - Gaming]
- Page 11 [Steve's Holidays Pick - External HDD]
- Page 12 [Cameron Johnson's Holiday Pick - X58 Motherboard]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Further Reading: Read and find more Guides content at our Guides reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Latest News Posts
- This $70,000 customized Apple Watch is packed full of diamonds
- The FCC passes Net Neutrality, the strongest set of rules yet
- The drama llama strikes again - massive llama chase in the US unfolds
- Study: Gamers buy PlayStation 4 for graphics, Xbox One for brand
- Kaspersky: 28% of mobile users don't have knowledge of malware attacks
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Review
- need new mother board
- how can i use new power supply for that mother boread asrock g41m-vs3 r2.0
- Question regarding adding new SSD to Z97 motherboard
- "All core" setting in firmware causes immediate system crash.
- Charter Communications Says Net Neutrality Will Slow Broadband Growth and Mean Higher Fees
- MSI Announces the AP16 Flex All-in-one Desktop
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse