Tweaking Part 5 - Overclocking
Now that we have prepared the card for abuse, it's time to increase the clock speeds and see what we can gain. As a general rule, increase clock speed in small increments of around 5MHz at a time. Test thoroughly after each increase, and if any unusual effects occur like missing pixels or textures then the card has been pushed too far, a reset is required if this occurs. If that happens back the clock speeds off slightly until you get the best performance without visual distortion.
To modify the core and memory frequency, you need to use either the "coolbits" registry key to show the NVIDIA tool, or use the utility that came with your card. Reputable manufacturers like MSI, Leadtek and Hercules to name a few all bundle their drivers with overclocking tools that will also do the job nicely.
- AMD Athlon XP 1800+
- Thermaltake Volcano 7
- MSI K7T Turbo Limited Edition
- 512Mb SDRAM
- MSI StarForce GeForce3 Ti 200 64Mb DDR
- 40Gb IBM 60GXP
- Windows XP Professional
Benchmarks and Conclusion
Now to fire up Madonion's 3Dmark2001 SE, a widely accepted synthetic benchmark for DirectX 8.
In this case, our overclocking and tweaking has netted a 10.6% increase in score on 3DMark2001 SE. The final core and memory speeds of 236/487 put this card very close to the GeForce3 Ti 500 (250/500) as far as specifications go. Seeing as the Ti200 has the same features as the Ti500 apart from clock speed, tweaking a Ti200 presents itself as a cost effective solution for the avid gamer. Not all video cards out there are going to achieve the same sort of results we see here. But there are performance gains to be had using almost any card, as long as you know where to look.
Please direct any questions or comments to the Video Card section of our forums, see you there!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ARCHOS unveils its Diamond Tab 4G/LTE tablet
- Impressive! 1 billion people used Facebook in just one day
- Valve is bundling Rocket League with the Steam Controller
- Acer is welcoming a takeover of the company after share prices tumble
- HTC will have a 'limited number' of Vive VR headsets this year
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20