Tweaking Part 5 - Overclocking
Now that we have prepared the card for abuse, it's time to increase the clock speeds and see what we can gain. As a general rule, increase clock speed in small increments of around 5MHz at a time. Test thoroughly after each increase, and if any unusual effects occur like missing pixels or textures then the card has been pushed too far, a reset is required if this occurs. If that happens back the clock speeds off slightly until you get the best performance without visual distortion.
To modify the core and memory frequency, you need to use either the "coolbits" registry key to show the NVIDIA tool, or use the utility that came with your card. Reputable manufacturers like MSI, Leadtek and Hercules to name a few all bundle their drivers with overclocking tools that will also do the job nicely.
- AMD Athlon XP 1800+
- Thermaltake Volcano 7
- MSI K7T Turbo Limited Edition
- 512Mb SDRAM
- MSI StarForce GeForce3 Ti 200 64Mb DDR
- 40Gb IBM 60GXP
- Windows XP Professional
Benchmarks and Conclusion
Now to fire up Madonion's 3Dmark2001 SE, a widely accepted synthetic benchmark for DirectX 8.
In this case, our overclocking and tweaking has netted a 10.6% increase in score on 3DMark2001 SE. The final core and memory speeds of 236/487 put this card very close to the GeForce3 Ti 500 (250/500) as far as specifications go. Seeing as the Ti200 has the same features as the Ti500 apart from clock speed, tweaking a Ti200 presents itself as a cost effective solution for the avid gamer. Not all video cards out there are going to achieve the same sort of results we see here. But there are performance gains to be had using almost any card, as long as you know where to look.
Please direct any questions or comments to the Video Card section of our forums, see you there!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Aware of 'let's play' videos? Here's every single one summarized
- This Grand Theft Auto IV hyper-realistic mod is better than real life
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 arrives, IGN says pop-shove it in the garbage
- The important question has been answered: Will the new iPhone 6s bend?
- Beautiful film made using only water, a 5 yen coin and an Apple iPhone
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- Samsung FIT MUF-64BB 64GB USB 3.0 Pico Flash Drive Review
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog