Tweaking Part 1 - The BIOS
Making sure that your card runs as fast as possible starts in the BIOS. There are several relevant settings here that can influence the performance of your video card. Not enabling some options will mean some software tweaks will have no effect!
AGP Mode - Determines the AGP frequency, as a multiplier of 66MHz. 1X is the slowest, 4X is the fastest. Some motherboards will have an "auto" setting, which determines the proper rate from the card in the AGP slot. Others might have an "AGP 4X Mode" enabled/disabled type setting, enabled will set 4X, disabled will set 2X. Older Intel BX and VIA Apollo motherboards will not have the 4X option as the chipsets do not support it. If the setting is there, set it to the highest setting available, which for most people is 4X.
AGP Fast writes - Determines whether the video card memory will be allowed to be written to directly, instead of going through the system memory. This setting should decrease the time it takes to transfer data to the video card for processing, as it bypasses the memory controller. Enabling it will increase performance, but quite possibly at the expense of system stability. Some motherboards will not have this option, but generally those with overclocking features have it present.
AGP Sideband Addressing - Allows the AGP card to use system memory for texture storage, a feature made famous by Intel's i740/i810. Not really relevant with today's 64Mb and 128Mb cards, due to the additional latencies generated by using the system memory instead of graphics card memory. Often this setting is not available on newer motherboards; if it is there I would suggest disabling it.
AGP Aperture - Should always be equal to or higher than the amount of memory on your video card. A general rule should be to set it at double the graphics card memory.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD teases 8K graphics workload on Radeon RX Vega
- AMD launches dual-GPU Radeon Pro Duo with 32GB of GDDR5
- Dawn of War III PC Steam deals are up to 25% off
- Colorful announces iGame GTX 1080 Ti Vulcan X OC
- What Zelda: Breath of the Wild would look like on NES
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- HyperX Pulsefire FPS Gaming Mouse Review
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club