Hard Disk Drives
- Western Digital Caviar Special Edition Hard Disk
When Quantum and Maxtor joined forces some time ago, the competition in the hard disk industry began to thin out. Add to that IBM's woeful 60GXP and 75GXP hard drives which suffered very frequent data loss and complete failure, and the market is left with three main forces. Maxtor, Seagate and Western Digital. In recent times, all three companies have put out excellent drives, and Maxtor went the next step and added ATA-133 support to their drives.
The Western Digital drives, or WD for short, support ATA-100, spin at 7200 RPM (revolutions per minute), have a 2MB buffer, an average Read Seek time of 8.9ms, and come in sizes from 20-120GB. If you're in need of some serious space, the 80-120 GB models also come in a "special edition" format, which ups the buffer to a massive 8MB's. All the drives come with WD's special data lifeguard, which is a group of software utilities that try to identify problems on the disk, and then fix them before they result in data loss. You also get a 3-year warranty.
The performance of the normal WD drives is excellent, but the performance of the special edition drives is unbelievable. In many cases, they can outperform a SCSI drive, which obviously puts them ahead of the Maxtor and Seagate IDE drives. With a buffer of 8MB and performance that can beat SCSI drives, the WD Caviar Special Edition drives are the ones to get. Couple these together in a RAID array and you can get even higher performance (and an awful lot of HDD space seeing as they only come in 80-120 GB sizes). The choice of size is yours, but it's going to take a lot of programs, MP3's and DIVX to fill even the 80GB model up.
If your in the market for a hard drive that can support insane FSB speeds, the Seagate Barracuda IV drives have been getting a reputation for just that. Take a look if that's your cup of tea.
- Find the best price on Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 100gb!
- Seagate Barracuda ATA IV Hard Drive
The Seagate Barracuda IV's can't keep up to the Special Edition WD's, thanks to their massive buffer size, but they can surpass the normal WD Caviar drives in performance and are slightly cheaper.
The Barracuda IV comes in sizes ranging from 20-80GB, has a 2MB buffer, spins at 7200 RPM, has an average Read Seek Time of 9ms, and supports ATA-100. Like the WD drives, they have a data protection system, in this case called 3D Defense System. They also come with a 3-year warranty.
As I've said, the performance is better than the normal WD drives, and they are priced slightly cheaper. The Maxtor drives support ATA-133, but you will rarely exceed a transfer rate of 100MBytes a second, so there's nothing to worry about. To cap it all off, they have a reputation for supporting crazy FSB speeds, which is a big plus for extreme overclockers.
- Find the best price on Seagate Barracuda ATA IV Hard Drives!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 2 [Processors]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 3 [Motherboards]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 4 [DDR Memory]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 5 [Video Cards]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 6 [Hard Disk Drives]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 7 [DVD and Burner Drives]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 8 [Soundcards and Monitors]
- PC Buyers Guide - Page 9 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI Z170A Krait motherboard includes Rainbow Six Siege, new design
- GeForce 359.06 driver prepares you for Just Cause 3, Rainbow Six Siege
- Chrome Data Saver mode now reduces data usage up to 70%
- NVIDIA: Just Cause 3 engine 'incompatible with multi-GPU solutions'
- Report claims mobile broadband is more affordable than ever
- conroe 1333dvi/h beta bios
- Tenda AC15 AC1900 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- Wikimedia Foundation to begin annual year-end contribution campaign
- Top Colliegate Gamer in the World, Michael 'Cartoonz' Hogman, Challenges Gamers to Beat Him in an Accuracy Skill-test Brought to You by ASUS and Intel
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is out now on Xbox One
- Cooler Master Announces MasterGel Maker Thermal Compound
- Cooler Master Also Announces CM Storm Sentinel Palm Grip Gaming Mouse