Heatsinks can be classified in terms of manufacturing methods and their final form shapes. The most common types of air-cooled heatsinks include stampings, extrusions, forging, bonded/fabricated fins, die castings and folded fins. Following is an explanation of each technique.
Stampings - Copper or aluminium sheet metals are stamped into desired shapes. They offer a low cost solution to low density thermal problems. They are suitable for high volume production, because advanced tooling with high speed stamping would lower costs. Additional labour-saving options, such as clips and interface materials, can be factory applied to help to reduce assembly costs.
Extrusions - This is the most popular method of manufacturing heatsinks. Extrusion is the process by which long straight metal parts can be produced. It is done by squeezing metal in a closed cavity through a tool, known as a die, using either a mechanical or hydraulic press. After the metal has cooled, it is cut to the size you want the heatsink to be, based on motherboard standard sizes.
Forging - This is the process whereby metal is heated and shaped by plastic deformation by suitably applying compressive force. Usually the compressive force is in the form of hammer blows using a power hammer or a press. Heatsink manufacturers rarely use this method but it is used occasionally, and is definitely worth mentioning.
Bonded/Fabricated Fins - Most air cooled heatsinks are convection limited, and the overall thermal performance of an air cooled heatsink can often be improved significantly if more surface area can be exposed to the air stream. These high performance heatsinks utilise thermally conductive aluminium-filled epoxy to bond planar fins onto a grooved extrusion base plate.
Die Castings - Die casting is where the metal is injected into the mould under high pressure of 1,450-30,500psi. This results in a more uniform part, generally good surface finish and good dimensional accuracy, as good as 0.2% of casting dimension. In other words, you can make more complex shapes using die casting than you can using other methods such as extrusion.
Folded Fins - Corrugated sheet metal in either aluminium or copper increases surface area, hence the volumetric performance. The heatsink is then attached to either a base plate or directly to the heating surface via epoxying or brazing. It is not suitable for high profile heatsinks on account of the availability and fin efficiency.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 2 [Materials]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 3 [Design]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 4 [Manufacturing Methods]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 5 [Fans & Thermal Interface Material]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 6 [Testing the Theory]
- Heatsink Theory Guide - Page 7 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Valve employee proposes to his wife in VR using the HTC Vive headset
- Vinyl sales have outpaced streaming revenues, according to the RIAA
- NASA dumps over 8,400 photos from the Apollo moon mission onto Flickr
- Samsung Galaxy S7 will have Qualcomm or Samsung processors
- NVIDIA showed off its next-gen HBM-based Pascal GPU in Japan recently
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- Tesoro Lobera Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Gigabyte Windows 10 driver updates, Utilities...
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog