Socket A AMD Duron CPU
The AMD Duron processor is the baby brother of the AMD Athlon Thunderbird. The Duron is the value market CPU designed to dethrone the Intel Celeron as king of the value market CPU and so far is has done this in speed but not total PC price (more on this later). The AMD Duron was the first Socket A CPU to be released to the public by AMD. Duron uses the same core as the Athlon Thunderbird with its super FPU and 0.18 micron technology. The only difference is the amount of L2 cache. The L2 cache of the Duron is a small 64KB. As we stated the AMD Duron is the king for price to performance ratio. The Duron kills the Celeron CPU in every benchmark test at the same core speed, this is due to the 200Mhz EV6 bus of the Duron vs the 66Mhz P6 bus of the Celeron as well as the triple pipelined FPU of the Duron vs the single pipeline of the Celeron, The only thing holding back the Duron from becoming the standard in the value market is motherboards. Intel Celeron CPU's can be used on the integrated platforms like SIS 620, SIS630, Intel I810 and I810E motherboards with integrated graphics and sound. At this time there are no integrated motherboard for the AMD Duron CPU meaning that more expensive motherboards have to be used and an additional separate graphics card has to be purchased. VIA Technology has plans to release a Socket A integrated platform with the S3 Savage 4 and Savage 2000 video subsystems integrated into the chipset in order to make the new Duron CPU the winner for the value market.
Now we know a bit about each CPU let's get down to overclocking and setting up the speediest system.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Valve wants to make Source 2 engine free for all devs
- Microsoft buys leading API studio Simplygon
- Path of Exile is coming to Xbox One
- Halo 6 won't be Project Scorpio launch game after all
- Tekken 7 release date will be announced next week
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni
- NZXT reveals new Puck cable management system
- Synology unveils Surveillance Station 8.0
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup