Socket A AMD Duron CPU
The AMD Duron processor is the baby brother of the AMD Athlon Thunderbird. The Duron is the value market CPU designed to dethrone the Intel Celeron as king of the value market CPU and so far is has done this in speed but not total PC price (more on this later). The AMD Duron was the first Socket A CPU to be released to the public by AMD. Duron uses the same core as the Athlon Thunderbird with its super FPU and 0.18 micron technology. The only difference is the amount of L2 cache. The L2 cache of the Duron is a small 64KB. As we stated the AMD Duron is the king for price to performance ratio. The Duron kills the Celeron CPU in every benchmark test at the same core speed, this is due to the 200Mhz EV6 bus of the Duron vs the 66Mhz P6 bus of the Celeron as well as the triple pipelined FPU of the Duron vs the single pipeline of the Celeron, The only thing holding back the Duron from becoming the standard in the value market is motherboards. Intel Celeron CPU's can be used on the integrated platforms like SIS 620, SIS630, Intel I810 and I810E motherboards with integrated graphics and sound. At this time there are no integrated motherboard for the AMD Duron CPU meaning that more expensive motherboards have to be used and an additional separate graphics card has to be purchased. VIA Technology has plans to release a Socket A integrated platform with the S3 Savage 4 and Savage 2000 video subsystems integrated into the chipset in order to make the new Duron CPU the winner for the value market.
Now we know a bit about each CPU let's get down to overclocking and setting up the speediest system.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel teases next-gen Optane tech, requires Kaby Lake
- HyperX ships more than 2 million headsets in three years
- The latest, and nearly final shots of the Galaxy S8
- Android 8.0 Oreo teased, should be unveiled soon
- Samsung to unveil four new VR/AR projects at MWC 2017
- H97M Pro4 - Intel Smart Connect Technology is running in Win10 but not in Win7
- (GA X99 Designare) Anyone using a Beta BIOS?
- Are there any infos about the dk-05?
- How can I Speedup Outlook 2010 Performance?
- Changing Device ID
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood
- New Final Fantasy XV content including 'booster pack+' release and NieR: Automata collaboration now available
- BC1 wins IF design award
- Battle trailer introduces NieR: Automata main weapon types