Socket A AMD Athlon Thunderbird CPU
The Socket A Athlon Thunderbird was the 2nd Thunderbird generation to his the streets. The Slot A version of the Thunderbirds that were meant for OEM's found their way onto the streets and in to overclockers computers. The new Thunderbird core took advantage of the existing 0.18-micron technology and the new ondie L2 cache technology and combined the 2 to form the new wave of Pentium 3 killers. The Thunderbird incorporates a L2 cache size of only 256KB running at the full CPU speed. Although its cache size is smaller from its predecessor this CPU is able to outperform the 512KB model due to the cache running twice as fast as the 512KB model. So while the 512KB model is trying to clear its L2 out for new data the Thunderbird has already cleared its cache out and has received the new data. The Thunderbird uses the same FPU as its predecessor, The only real difference is the cache an the new Socket 462 or Socket A PGA package. The new Socket form was used in favor of the Slot because of cost. Using the Socket A reduces costs in 2 stages, 1, since the cache is moved to the die of the CPU there is no need for the board anymore which used to hold the L2 cache chips., removing this board reduces the costs of manufacturing the CPU. 2, using a Socket interface on the motherboard reduces motherboard production costs as the manufacture of the motherboard doesn't need to add extra PCB to accommodate the extremely long Slot connector.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'Spider-Man' comes home in first trailer
- Third 'Cloverfield' film revealed & delayed by 8 months
- John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, dies
- AMD reboots its drivers with Crimson ReLive Edition
- Faraday Future car will have cameras instead of mirrors
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD
- Jonsbo announces QT03A and VR2 cases, and FR-101 fan series
- Cooler Master announces the MasterCase Maker 5T
- be quiet! announces the Dark Base Pro 900 case with tempered glass window side panel