Memory Timing, Overclocking and Performance
Memory is divided into 4 PC performance categories, PC66, PC100, PC133 and the new PC150. Each category has a specific SDRAM ns speed. PC66 SDRAM is a 10ns SDRAM; this ram is used on older Socket 7 CPU's and Intel Celeron. PC100 is a 8ns SRAM, this ram is used on AMD Athlon, Intel Pentium II and Pentium III. PC133 SDRAM is a 7ns SDRAM; it is used on AMD Athlon systems with the +PCI option, Intel Pentium III Coppermine and VIA Cyrix III systems. PC150 is either a 7ns overclocked SDRAM or a 6ns SDRAM, this memory is used when overclocking the front side bus above 133MHz.
The AMD Athlon memory system of tweaking and adjustments differs a little form the Intel form. Athlon motherboards based on VIA chipsets have added a lot of new memory tweaks and overclocking options. On all of the AMD Athlon based systems the minimum memory speed you will require is PC100 SDRAM in order to run the system at default clock speeds. PC133 SDRAM is a very wise option for AMD based systems as it allows for more overclockability and also allows for the use of the new Asynchronous memory clock. We explained earlier how the memory clock works on the VIA based chips so we won't go into detail again. In order to get a good system going you need to find good ram, and the way you tell good ram is to look at its CAS (Column Access Select) settings. Normally it comes in 2 forms, CAS2 and CAS3. CAS2 is the faster of the 2, why is this so?? The number 2 refers to the amount of CPU cycles it takes for the SDRAM to align with the CPU clock cycle in order to send and receive data. CAS2 only takes 2 cycles where CAS3 takes an extra cycle. This can come down to an extra 10FPS in your favorite game. The best idea when choosing memory is to get a CAS2 PC133 SDRAM module such as Mushkin CAS2 PC133 SDRAM or Kingmax rev 1.2 PC133 SDRAM. The reason for this is that when overclocking beyond 133Mhz (using the +PCI clock option) you can lower the CAS2 on the module to CAS3 in order to get a more stable memory speeds.
Another interesting feature for the AMD Athlon range is the DRAM Interleaving. DRAM interleaving is a process what the memory access is divides by the amount you select, normally there are 3 options, disabled, 2 way and 4 way. 4 Way interleaving is the faster of 2 settings and can increase memory performance up to 20%, this option is dependent on the motherboard you buy, some boards have it and some boards don't. Configuring a AMD Athlon system using the AMD Irongate 750 chipset is a lot like setting up a BX motherboard. All the memory options are the same except the new super bypass option, this is a new option built into the later revision of the Irongate chipset, which allows the SDRAM to bypass certain bridges and access paths allowing for faster ram performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- VR will slowly trickle to mainstream market, says Oculus founder
- Samsung offers iPhone users $200 if they switch to a new Galaxy phone
- CryEngine 3 used for interior rendering demo, and it looks amazing
- iPhone 6S to feature upgraded 4K-capable rear-facing camera, and more
- Star Citizen's social module launches alongside v1.2 patch
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20