Physical Network Setup Continued
- Server Specification Recommendations
If your server isn't being used for gaming and what not (preferable so it maintains it's desired continuous uptime 24 hours a day) there is no need for it to be using the latest Pentium 4 or Athlon XP processor with a lot of RAM and hard disk drive space and latest GeForce 4 graphics card. Hell, mine doesn't even have a monitor, keyboard or mouse connected to it, just the bare minimum for the system to run. The box itself just sits by it's lonely self doing what it does best, serving, 24 hours a day. Since the server will be using Windows XP, the server will require at least 128MB of RAM. Note, the server doesn't have to use Windows XP; we are just using it as an example in this guide, which will ultimately make things easier in the long run.
The beauty of the server is you could be using a Pentium 2 or an older Athlon at 500MHz, for example, and it would still operate perfectly in the environment it is intended for. What I'm trying to say is here, you don't need a super expensive or powerful PC to act as your server. It's important to mention we are after a stable system, so overclocking and tweaking it out to the max isn't recommended for obvious reasons either.
We are after the most stable environment possible, this may mean slowing down memory settings in the BIOS, as much as that goes against the principles of this site.
Now we've proceeded through everything for the physical hardware side of the network, it's time to get the network setup and operating in Windows. Let the fun begin... Click the link for the next page.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apple's worth jumps 43% to $170 billion, still world's top brand
- Facebook will zap free internet to Africa via satellite
- Spurned Pokemon fan raises $4000 to pay for copyright fine
- Jack Dorsey reprises role as Twitter's CEO
- New writers board 'Gran Turismo' feature film
- Buffalo TeraStation 5200 Windows Storage Server Review
- USB 3.0 (or even 3.1) header availability for Armorsuit PC-P60?
- Project Core XD
- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ No video first boot
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog