I've always wanted to move to water cooling in my main rig as long as I've had a computer. And with the nagging engineer in the back of my head telling me never to mix water and electronics, I took the plunge anyway.
In this article I will cover an easy way of essentially "buying" your way into water cooling without the worry of matching up hose diameters and connectors etc.
The first thing to do is to get a suitable motherboard and there are a lot out there. But if you are going to water cool then you will want an enthusiast / high-end board that can support some decent overclocks while running your water cooling setup.
I have chosen GIGABYTE's EP45-EXTREME motherboard; this because I have RAM that can be seriously overclocked as well as a new 45nm Wolfdale CPU. But the main attraction of this board is the pre-built water block for the Northbridge.
The Northbridge is an essential item to cool and is just as important as the CPU and GPU if you plan to overclock. You don't have to buy one with a pre-fitted Northbridge block; you can buy a block separate and fit it yourself.
However, if you don't want to overclock and are merely going for a silent system, then look at a motherboard where you can fit a silent fan to blow some air over the heatsink of the Northbridge. This is essential as normally your CPU fan would provide airflow across the Northbridge.
The EP45-EXTREME features all the latest technologies from GIGABYTE which includes the Ultra Durable 2 series of components on board, Dolby Home Theatre chipset, DDR2 speeds up to 1200 MHz and an FSB of up to 1600 MHz.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Liquid Refreshment]
- Page 2 [The Baby Maker]
- Page 3 [NOT Mountain Dew]
- Page 4 [Shiny Things]
- Page 5 [Fit, damn you! FIT!]
- Page 6 [A series of tubes... literally]
- Page 7 [Bring it all together now]
- Page 8 [Testing 123]
- Page 9 [Final Words]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook will zap free internet to Africa via satellite
- Spurned Pokemon fan raises $4000 to pay for copyright fine
- Jack Dorsey reprises role as Twitter's CEO
- New writers board 'Gran Turismo' feature film
- 'Lethal Weapon' series reloads for TV
- Buffalo TeraStation 5200 Windows Storage Server Review
- USB 3.0 (or even 3.1) header availability for Armorsuit PC-P60?
- Project Core XD
- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ No video first boot
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog