Hey there, hot stuff
With your newly cleaned up sticks in hand, give them a quick inspection to make sure that you haven't accidentally chipped off the smaller surface mount devices.
Now for the most exciting part; grab your new RAM-sinks and rip open the packaging! - Here I'm using the Nexus HXR-5500 Black heat spreaders, because they look so deliciously evil, like something Darth Vader would use when building his gaming rig.
Furthermore, they have the copper heat-pipe system to help dissipate more of the heat.
Most third party RAM-sinks will come with a spacer stick-on foam pad too; this is if your memory is one sided, you don't need to put this on if your memory is double sided. That is just asking for trouble.
Ready to roll; just peel back the protective on the adhesive, then line up your RAM, making sure the heat spreader part does not cover the notches on the side of the RAM used to lock it to the motherboard.
Note: Look at the orientation of your RAM before sticking it down; some heat-pipe designs add extra length to your RAM, so make sure the side you stick it on has any protrusions pointing away from the graphics card.
If you are doing this for multiple modules, you will probably want to make sure a pair look matched, so make sure you stick the RAM the right way around in the new RAM-sinks. If you are doing a series of four modules, take extra note of the width and airflow available when all four modules are seated; it can get pretty hot and tight!
The final step of course is to stick the modules back in then turn on your system. If you get a failure on boot-up then you might have damaged one of the modules and you should test each one individually by booting with just one at a time in the system.
Enjoy a cooler computer and better over-clocks!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Latest News Posts
- Sony started working on PlayStation VR in 2010
- ASUS makes its PG279Q monitor official, QHD with 165Hz and G-Sync
- 'Star Wars: Rebels' season 2 trailer reveals Vader, new friends & foes
- Disney-themed prosthetic hands are now a thing
- DARPA developing vehicle disappearing technology
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R Rev1 SSD Boot Order Issue.
- Help Updating GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0 Bios
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent